Hello Nesmakers.

Saulus_Lira

Hello people! I'm new to nesmaker, and I don't know anything about programming. But I hope here to find help with my nesdev projects.
I'm in the initial tutorials, but my goal is to make a beatnup game (double Dragon stile).
And now? where to start

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey welcome Saulus_Lira
Glad to have you here with us.
If you watched all the tutorial videos, you can now start/try making your own game... I'd suggest to do again like in the tutorial demo, but with your graphics, only the functions you need...
Also start simple, first... a small scaled game. Then, reiterating with more advanced fonctions.
For a beat them up.. make a melee like a fist or a foot or invisible and make animation for your "attack" action step.
I'd suggest to use the shooter module, maybe... (or the adventure one). No gravity, and just walk and attack.

A module for that were in discussion... and was almost announced (for the next version?). But we don't know if/when this module would be released.

Have fun, do experimentations!

Saulus_Lira

Thanks for the valuable tips.
It is a good idea to use the shooter module to move 8 directions.
I will follow a step by step in a simple way, moving the variables minimally.
I already have some tiles ready. Let's see what happens.

dale_coop

Staff member
But with the shooter module, the player is always facing right, if I remember well. You may have to modify the left direction script to use the corresponding facing ;)

Also, you could test with other modules as well (like the Adventure one...)

And you can add 8 directions to your project, for any topdown module (shooter or adventure), here's the topic: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2760

Saulus_Lira

Jonny said:
Greetings dude. Looking forward to seeing your beat-em up game.

Hello how are you?
Thanks for the greeting.
It will be very simple. I'll do something whenever I get home from work.
From what I saw in the tutorials, there's a lot to do and learn.

Saulus_Lira

dale_coop said:
But with the shooter module, the player is always facing right, if I remember well. You may have to modify the left direction script to use the corresponding facing ;)

Also, you could test with other modules as well (like the Adventure one...)

And you can add 8 directions to your project, for any topdown module (shooter or adventure), here's the topic: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2760

That's great. I will use it in my project.

mouse spirit

Welcome. Some tips for a new NESmaker.(as i am one)Watch the tutorials.Dude talks quickly but it helps alot..Search nesmakers (and whatever your question is) on a search engine,or use the search on the site.Make stuff and try stuff.Just be sure to have a backup or the original nesmaker zip you downloaded.

Read this before making your own sounds n music.
https://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3018

Also some things won't work like you think.Usually for an average intro problem,there is already an answer here or atleast someone has already asked the question.

It may be better to work within your limitations At First, rather than strive for your ultimate goal with the program.
Make some "crappy stuff" n mess around fersure.

For a quick 'understanding' of the code,imagin it like this for now if you want to try to read it.

LDA (YOU CALL UP SOMETHING)
CMP (YOU COMPARE A VALUE)
BEQ + (YOU ASK IF IS THE SOMETHING IS EQUAL TO WHAT YOU COMPARED, IF SO, SEND IT TO +)(alternatively BNE (means not equal to))
JMP ++ (IF IT WASN'T TO WHAT YOU COMPARED, JUMP TO ++ instead)

Furthermore , if it says something like...
BEQ "doThisThing"
Then look further down for "doThisThing:"
That means if equal go to "doThisThing(no colon)" go to
"doThisThing(colon)"

This may not be totally accurate but it's helped me so far.

Hit me up for anything...basic.I'm new but that may be perfect to help you along!
Also be sure to thank dale_coop.

Saulus_Lira

Hello people. I am grateful for all these tips.
I am happy to be able to work on some NES project, as I have many ideas, but little time. I'm working on some city tilesets in my game. follow some screens and say what you think?
screen2.pngscreen1.png

Saulus_Lira

mouse spirit said:
Welcome. Some tips for a new NESmaker.(as i am one)Watch the tutorials.Dude talks quickly but it helps alot..Search nesmakers (and whatever your question is) on a search engine,or use the search on the site.Make stuff and try stuff.Just be sure to have a backup or the original nesmaker zip you downloaded.

Read this before making your own sounds n music.
https://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3018

Also some things won't work like you think.Usually for an average intro problem,there is already an answer here or atleast someone has already asked the question.

It may be better to work within your limitations At First, rather than strive for your ultimate goal with the program.
Make some "crappy stuff" n mess around fersure.

For a quick 'understanding' of the code,imagin it like this for now if you want to try to read it.

LDA (YOU CALL UP SOMETHING)
CMP (YOU COMPARE A VALUE)
BEQ + (YOU ASK IF IS THE SOMETHING IS EQUAL TO WHAT YOU COMPARED, IF SO, SEND IT TO +)(alternatively BNE (means not equal to))
JMP ++ (IF IT WASN'T TO WHAT YOU COMPARED, JUMP TO ++ instead)

Furthermore , if it says something like...
BEQ "doThisThing"
Then look further down for "doThisThing:"
That means if equal go to "doThisThing(no colon)" go to
"doThisThing(colon)"

This may not be totally accurate but it's helped me so far.

Hit me up for anything...basic.I'm new but that may be perfect to help you along!
Also be sure to thank dale_coop.

Right. Thank you very much for the valuable tips.

Top Bottom