Greetings and salutations! Artix here-- making a game.

Artix

Greetings and salutations,

It is so exciting to see a passionate community around NESMaker. Looking forward to helping and being involved here-- and seeing all of your amazing creations.

I am Artix. The creator of the AdventureQuest web/mobile/steam games. Recently, the 8-bit obsession critical hit me. Like most of the people here, I grew up on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Castlevania was that special game that changed my life. What was yours?

Earlier this year I backed a Kickstarter called Micro Mages. I had no idea there were people developing for this. I struck out to do the same. Researching how to develop for the system I stumbled on the new 8-bit heroes documentary, and then onto the NES Maker Tool. It was shocking to find that this existed. This weekend I finished the Adventure Module tutorials... and watched with delight as my 2 and 4 year old children played through the screens. Even bought a retro-bit nes-looking controller for $10 at a local retro game store. Waiting for the cartridge flasher to come in the mail-- so excited to put a a game cartridge of my own making into my NES and play it! I still have m original NES (and all of my other game systems and older computers.)

My goal is to create and release one NES game project-- a zelda/castlevania 2-ish adventure game. Two artists, one musician and one coder from the studio will be helping-- this is a project we will be doing in our spare time. However, none of us has any skill with assembly language... so we will be here hunting your expertise!

Two issues I have run into. 1. Using the latest version of NESMaker with the Adventure Module-- the sounds seem to be broken. A single high pitched note remains constant when the player drops to 1 health. And the player and monster knock back seems to be excessive. Any ideas?

The one limitation we are debating trying to code a solution for is only having one teleport in / teleport out per screen. Our game project starts in a town with multiple buildings to enter on a single screen. So trying to figure out the best way to add a teleporter that accepts five parameters: WorldScreen_X, WorldScreen_Y, isUnderWorld, x, y

Looking forward to talking with you on the forums.

Battle on!
Artix

dale_coop

Staff member
Hi Artix and welcome :)
We are very glad to have you here with us. A great addition to have people who have talents ;)
Can't wait to see your projects (please, do'nt hesitate to share in the WIP section)

For your sound issues, you could try this fix:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=7638#p7638

About the multiple-sceens warp, there are topics about that, but no versatile system for that has been made... yet (maybe with the 4.1...)

RiverbackGames

Hi Artix!

So cool to see you here. šŸ˜ Me and my friend played a lot of adventure quest at the age of 7 when it came out. I'm very interested of what you have in mind. To think that someone has been in the industry so long brings out the fanboy in me as a developer.

If you plan on releasing a physical copy I call dibs. However making those is really expensive so hopefully I have my finances running until then. šŸ˜… Have you had any thoughts considering this possibility?

We have some people here in Finland that have published their game in a form of cartridge. I think it was just a few years ago. I haven't met them yet, but it would be cool if they had some time to share their experiences with us.

There are also a lot of professional coders who have made demos for Nes and we have yearly summit where they are presented in a big screen for hundreds of peoples. It's called Assembly, if you are interested. Haven't met anyone from there either, because they mainly work in different jobs in capital and gather around just for the event itself.

Haven't seen this kind of dedication anywhere else, but mostly it's very underground and doesn't reach global visibility. People are just doing it for fun but I can see how it may help you to get a job from around your local community and maybe even some fame for your company. But overall I think the circles are still small around Nes development.

Glad you joined the forums and see you around!

Top Bottom