Hello Everybody

Gecko1993

This is Gecko1993 (obvious nod to my YouTube)! I just want to take this time to introduce myself. I want to get into developing games, and I thought that I would use an old-school console such as the NES (one that I have loved in Grade School) to help get started. What I have so far is my tileset for this game I am working on (https://www.deviantart.com/gecko1993/art/Nintendo-Homebrew-Game-Hoggy-Dog-764568024). I know it is in monochrome as it MAY or MAY NOT go to Game Boy. I do want to use the most colors the NES can muster to make it not only one of the most colorful games on the console, but also a VERY arcade-like experience. Basically kind-of like Metal Slug for the NES. Feel free to take a look at my Game Design Documentations, and some Pixel Artwork presented.
Note: Bear in mind, these graphics in the Title Screen are used from a .bmp I have created, and am implementing for NESMaker; however the colors MAY be wrong (I KNOW for a fact the NES can NOT render yellow UNLESS it is on a PlayChoice-10 arcade cabinet as it uses a different PPU).
I am grateful to be meeting some great people on these forums! I look forward to making my game a reality.

Attachments

• GDD1.png
    GDD1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,886
  • GDD2.png
    GDD2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,886
  • GDD3.png
    GDD3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,886
  • GDD4.png
    GDD4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,886
  • GDD5.png
    GDD5.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,886
  • TitleMockUp.png
    TitleMockUp.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,886
Monochrome? You and I can get along. :). Anyway, welcome to the community, if you need anything, you can ask questions here, on the Facebook group, or over at the Community Discord good luck, and happy Nesmaking!

cargo

spam bots yandex
Hi and welcome to the forums. Looks like you put a lot of thought into the design phase. Your mockup intro screen looks nice. I think the NES version will look very similar. If you are already working with 4.0.11 (or about to) then here are a few notes to get you started:

+ If you haven't already watch the video tutorials at the 8bit Heroes Youtube Channel.
+ Read about this important fix for 4.0.11: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=735
+ Currently the search field on the forums is broken, so if you experience trouble use your favorite search engine using a query similar to this:

my question site:nesmakers.com

+ Tired of pressing a key to get rid of the output command line window every time you export to test? Then read this post.
+ Read this thread for information on the current technical quirks regarding music in NESMaker.
+ Flasher driver installation is a bit of a mess currently. If you got the new mini flasher (looks like the photo in this post) then you try can the drivers in this post ---> http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1553#p9986 or open up a support ticket at the Infinite NES Lives website and ask them for the drivers. If you got an older flasher with the bigger board (similar to this one) then the drivers are located under "Flasher" inside your NESMaker install folder.
+ You can ask questions here, on the facebook public group or at the Community Discord server.

Good luck and happy nesmaking.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hello Gecko1993 and welcome.
We are glad you joined us. Great designs and art works, here. It's very awesome. I love watching those.
Yeah, you could try starting to make your NES game with NESMaker... the result could be close to your idea (maybe not all the mechanics, but some)
The 4.1 just been released now (thenew8bitheroes.com), you can start watching the tutorial videos and learn how to use it and make first demo game before working on your masterpiece :)
Cant' wait to see and play your first demos.

Gecko1993

Thanks, everybody. You have given me some great, and helpful advice, and encouragement! Before I close this thread, I do have one question. I have recently downloaded ProMotion, and I am trying to refresh myself with that new program. My question is in regards to the sprite usage from that program into NESMaker. Being ever so careful as to not to try to make the game crash (need I remind anyone of Metroid's infamous crash where you gather too many Metroids in one spot whilst in Tourian). Since it implements so many colors (main character is supposed to be like MegaMan in regards to stacked sprites in order to implement more colors on the console itself) to really make it not only stand out, make it fun (like an early qualifier for 16-bit graphics if applicable).

I'd recommend just the in-tool pixel editor.
As for the sprite layering, there are far more qualified people than myself that can help you.

Top Bottom