I am Erica

TigressErica

Hello! I purchased a key for NESMaker just a couple hours ago but I had been watching the tutorials wanting this program for about a week.

I've already started making a game. Very minimal stuff of course... but when I hit Export & Test... it's not MY game that loads in the emulator... it's something completely different with a plump player character and this weird square enemy moving around. What am I doing wrong? I created a new project with blank tilesets and have created my own grass tile and a couple solid objects.

TurtleRescueNES

Welcome, Erica! It sounds like you are opening up the default game that was bundled with the program. Your game may not have compiled correctly. In the window that process the game opening, were any errors indicated?

TigressErica

Yes. I have not yet made images for the player character. Might that be why? Quoted is the dos window text.

C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
MainASM.asm(2): Can't open file.
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

TigressErica said:
Yes. I have not yet made images for the player character. Might that be why? Quoted is the dos window text.

C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
MainASM.asm(2): Can't open file.
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>pause
Open up MainASM.asm and tell us what's on line 2.

If you need further assistance, you can ask here, on the FaceBook group, or over at the Community Discord.

TigressErica

I have 2 different MainASM.asm files. One each in:

C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData\Routines\Basic
C:\Users\Erica\Documents\NES Maker\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData

Line 2 in the first is: .include "GameData\Constants.asm"
Line 2 in the latter is: .include ROOT\MainASM.asm

Mugi

this is most likely one of those antivitus things again where windows defender randomly deletes "harmful" files and denies access to them.
might be worth a wahile to try and do a clean install while windows defender is temporarily disabled.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome TigressErica :)
For your issue, you could try to unzip the NESMaker folder in your "Documents" folder (or "Downloads" or "Desktop"...) and maybe try to deactivate the antivirus.
If you had already a project and would likek to keep it, just copy the GraphicAssets folder and the YourProject.MST file from the old NESMaker folder, to your nes freshly installed NESMaker folder (if you made modifications in scripts, you would have to copy/paste the "GameEngineData\Routines" folder too).

TigressErica

I re-extracted with ESET and Windows Defender disabled and that didn't solve the problem, but I've figured out what I did wrong and I feel stupid... when I created the new project, I hadn't selected a module. I think it's because in the official walkthrough video, either that wasn't an option to make in the version he was using at the time, or I missed that part.

Anyway... I'm excited to start making a game using this! I'm somewhat of a programmer but I've never learned any programming languages that would help me build a visual game from scratch... I have lots of experience with BASIC (no, not Visual BASIC), Pascal, HTML, mIRC Script. I really need to learn C++ or an actually useful programming language to make actual windows programs and not just scripts.

Also, NESmaker is the first software I've legit purchased in over 10 years... lol.

TurtleRescueNES

Having a knowledge of programming logic will be far more beneficial than knowing any of those languages. As I work on my game, my struggle is that I know the flow of what I want to do, but do not know how to thell the NES how to do it. So I look at the code provided and I ask what else in this game does sonething similar, and use that code as a starting point.

dale_coop

Staff member
TigressErica said:
I've figured out what I did wrong and I feel stupid... when I created the new project, I hadn't selected a module. I think it's because in the official walkthrough video, either that wasn't an option to make in the version he was using at the time, or I missed that part.

Don't feel stupid ;) I think a lot of us did that too at first :p Glad you find out...
The tutorial is a very important step for a good start.

TigressErica said:
Anyway... I'm excited to start making a game using this! I'm somewhat of a programmer but I've never learned any programming languages that would help me build a visual game from scratch... I have lots of experience with BASIC (no, not Visual BASIC), Pascal, HTML, mIRC Script. I really need to learn C++ or an actually useful programming language to make actual windows programs and not just scripts.

Also, NESmaker is the first software I've legit purchased in over 10 years... lol.

Your knowledge will help you for understand the ASM logic... it's a very basic language. The most difficult is the limitations/functionnalities of the hardware.
Can't wait t o see what you will create with NESMaker.
And in the Archives section, you will a lot of useful things, the NESMaker Help section (Code section...)

Im getting a similar problem

C:\Program Files\NESmaker_4_5_6\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
pass 2..
last try..
Routines\BASE_4_5\Game\MOD_AdventureBase\Common\doSpritePreDraw_AdventureBase.asm(24): Unknown label.
demo.txt written.

C:\Program Files\NESmaker_4_5_6\GameEngineData>pause

that

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Erica :)
Glad to have you here with us.

carstengamers:
I'd suggest to follow again the Adventure tutorial. Also, make sure to update your core with the most recent one, from http://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/downloads/

PasseGaming

Welcome Erica, this tool has quite the learning curve. Trust me, it's nearly burned me out. But, if you stick with it I am sure you will create something fantastic. Welcome to the forums!

Top Bottom