Hello everyone

Phosis

Hi guys,

I am new here (obviously) and wanted to say "hi".

I am 33, a web developer by trade, and I write for a video game site called Destructoid. Though I wouldn't call myself a collector per se, I do have a decent library of NES games. The NES and the Sega Genesis/Megadrive are my favorite systems of all time, but I like collecting NES cartridges, of which I have about 100 or so. My wife got me a Retro AVS a couple of years ago, and I play it basically all the time.

I read about NESMaker when I was looking into GameMaker, because I want to develop something unique both as a side hobby, and to put on my development portfolio as an interesting talking point. I currently spend most of my time developing backend things in PHP, which is mainly moving data around, and have no actual game dev experience.

In the course of an evening, I sat down with my young daughter, and she was giving me "tips" for designing our first simple platformer. I decided I wanted to go "all in" and make a game similar to Lolo - simple logic, single screen at first, a modest number of levels (maybe 25). I am working on prototyping based on pre-existing assets, and learning how to modify existing scripts, and have a trajectory of six months in which I'd like to have my first fully finished game.

I also ordered the hardware (which strangely, I never got a notification email for) so we can actually test it, and bought a cheap MIDI keyboard so I can make songs in famitracker (creating digital music was a hobby of mine some years ago)

Anyways, I am happy to be a part of this community, intimidated but eager to learn, and just really want to see a project through all the way to the end.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Phosis
Glad you joined us. A great community.
Your motivations are the same as ours.
When starting with NESMaker don’t forget to watch the tutorial videos (www.thenew8bitheroes.com), but I’m sure you already watched them ;)
If you have questions, issues, dont hesitate to ask. You will find here ideas, help, resources,...
Can’t wait to see what you will create with NESMaker.

(...and always listen to your kids ;))

marp

Welcome!

This is such a great community and I'm sure you will get a lot of help learning NESMaker and game development here. I know I have. =)

Top Bottom