Introducing myself

vufka

Hi all,

I'm new to NESMaker. I'm one of the r/nes chat mods, I collect NES games (359 uniques and slowly building), I write policy/technical web content for a living, and I've dabbled in FamiTracker and other trackers.

I'm only a day in and I'm really excited. I'm glad Byte-Off happened, otherwise I would have never known this exists. I think with time and consistent development, it's going to blow up in popularity. I've followed along to just over half of the video tutorials and amazed at the capabilities of the software. The fact that I'm already making working, controllable, playable games that run on NES limitations is blowing my mind. I'm thinking of so many possibilities. Imagine a "visual novel" but on the NES! Or installation art. A music video for an NSF file. I feel like it can do so much more than is immediately apparent. 6502 assembly was always the barrier. I'm a bad programmer even with the luxuries of the modern era, I find 6502 assembly to be beyond anything I can learn with the time and energy available to me.

That being said, it's fun and easy to stick to what's easy to make. I'm hoping there are more 20 minute projects and modules posted in the future, I love that aspect of NESMaker! I have a feeling that I'm going to be pumping out a lot of platformers and adventure games to hone my skills. I'd love to more easily build a beat-em-up.

I've always had a problem in life sticking to creative projects that require patience and a lot of work. I'm hoping that I can stick with NESMaker and make some games that I'm proud of. I'm feeling hopeful!

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey vufka, welcome :)

Glad you found us. NESMaker is an incredible tool and we have a such amazing community. You're now part of the family!
Like you, we all love NES games, making games for that console has always been difficult for most of us. It's really different now.

The tutorial videos are very important. Because some aspects of NESmaker are not obvious and quite specific... you'll have to learn from the tutorial, the forum and with your experience. But it's so fun!
You can find a lot of old videos about NESMaker on the official youtube channel (like the 20min... but older for previous versions... the tool has changed a lot since but some of the concepts explained or ideas of how it works and how to manipulate are still relevant today). And I'd suggest Joe's Vimeo channel too (LOVE those older videos): https://vimeo.com/joegranatoiv

On the forum you will find a lot of resources, help, scripts, ... answers to your questions. Don't hesitate to share your ideas, projects,...
Can't wait to see what you will create with NESmaker.

Top Bottom