Watch out! Newbie coming through.

SteamBoy

Hi,

My names Gary and I’m 33. I’ve been a long time Nes fan and huge physical video game collector pretty much since I was four.

I grew up with just about everything you could imagine game wise and had an Intellivision, Sega Genesis and NES before I could remember. It’s because of this early foundation I had as a child, I grew to absolutely love anything video game related.

It’s in this regard I feel compelled to make a game for my favorite console the Nintendo Entertainment System. I’m not proficient in coding whatsoever and hope to change that by the end of this and welcome all the help I can get moving forward. My passion will be to bring Super SteamBoy to life which has been in my head for around 5 years now. Think Mega Man meets Metroid.

Thanks.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome SteamBoy
Glad to have you here with us.
Can't wait to see your Super SteamBoy coming to life <3 Feel free to share your projects, progress... and don't hesitate to ask for help, comments, etc.
You can find a lot of resource in the forum (in Community Tutorials and Scripts sections). Also don't forget to watch all the tutorial videos on the official website.
Have fun!

SteamBoy

Thanks dale, I just finished the tutorials yesterday and purchased Nes Maker this morning. I will probably be watching these tutorials 2 or 3 times each so that I can grasp this as soon as possible. I have a good chunk of art already done and some music I composed throughout the years. It’s all about learning the tools and limitations at this point.

Dirk

Very good :)

Just a little tip, in case you haven't heard it yet or don't know it, you can save space by placing the same tiles only once and I think you don't need to place tiles that are mirrored twice.
So at a quick glance you only need the first two 8x8 tiles in the first row and can omit the next four 8x8 tiles.

For a first project you might not care about saving space, because you just want to play around with NESmaker, but I thought I'd mention it :)

SteamBoy

As soon as you mentioned it, it made sense how it works since I’m in 16x16. My bigger problem now is solving
the sprite problem 🙄 I filled in the hair but now I need to find a solution for the waist and overlapping hand portions.

Dirk

Yes, designing sprites for NES is a lot of tweaking, head scratching and compromises :)

SteamBoy

I’m happy with this 😁, but I’m not sure if I should go plain or with the stripe. Btw, will I be able to do my projectile a separate color, I was hoping to use red for those.BBB520EF-2EA1-473C-BD0F-7E336F4114CC.jpeg 249E3CE3-1960-452C-A95B-4847EC23522D.jpeg

Dirk

Could you use the print screen function of your laptop so the pictures show up in the correct orientation and with better quality?

Top Bottom