Howdy all

Yoshidm

I just pulled the trigger on getting NESMaker after a lot of self debate and research. I've been dabbling with "makers" and programming for many years, cutting my teeth on Tandy Color Computer BASIC back in my youth. I've fiddled with the "Click" products for a while (Klik n' Play, Click and Create, Multimefia Fusion and now ClickTeam Fusion) and even finished a couple games. One was a graphic reskin of a Klik game from Biebersoft simply called "The First Quest" and a cheesy one of my own called "Lawnmower Lad", both of which I had on a site called "This Old Home Arcade" many moons ago. I also did a couple personal games for co-workers as gifts and one for my son that's based on Nyan Cat (which he loved for a while-now it's Bubble Bobble, fickle 3 year old), though they never hit the Internet.

Like many game creators, one tends to think big but found the skills lacking to get there. That with growing lack of time led to some frustration and then I stopped creating. When I saw NESMaker, my interest in creating started again. Here's a tool for a system that got me interested in more than just playing games, but also in the industry. The idea of playing a game I made on my original NES really stoked the fire.But this time, to paraphrase the late Casey Kasem- I'm going to keep my feet on the ground and start small.

So as I'm going through the tutorials (which are great, BTW), I'll be focusing more on the short arcade-style offerings of the early 1980's. My inspirations for the time being will be the old BASIC games I typed in years ago or that I created myself. My goals are to make...

-a block tower game where you have three tall pegs (left, middle, right) and a stack of different sized rings. You need to move the stack from the right peg to the left peg one at a time BUT you can't put a bigger ring on top if a smaller one. Score is by number of moves and time.

-a game my Dad wrote based on the dice game Yahtzee (though he called it "Jahtzee"-there were a lot of clone games with different names BITD on computers)

-a game where you are trapped in a tank with tubes at different parts. Cheese gets shot through the tubes and you must move your character to the sides of the tank or hold onto the sides to avoid getting splattered.

So hopefully I can keep my focus and do these goals after I've gone through the tutorials. I'll see ya all around as I know I'll have questions and hope to help the community with the experience I gain.

Later!

Top Bottom