Hello from the Westsiiiiide~~

Da Slippery Minx

Hello folks, "How d'ye do and shake hands"[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofcioVixEw[/media]

Really really uber stoked to see such a program existing, I hope in the future there will be such a program for SNES and Genesis in the nearest of futures, but regardless I can tell you that I'm quite smitten with what I see and it's already got my gears go'n. I look forward to updates and all that wonderful jazz because only more amazing things can derive from it.

I'm a graphic artist and have been for a very long time now (decades,) I've been using adobe art programs for 2 decades now (even though mine are quite old [money issues.]) I'm VERY MUCH a Japanese Mecha enthusiast and I've been making my own professional class designs for over 12 years have I've got my own Katoki+Nagano+Fujita style (self taught [THOUSANDS of hours of practice,]) as such I've learned more about Design Theory from them than any other art class in my life; as such, I consider myself a Design Theorist.

I don't know coding (yet,) but it doesn't stop me from problem solving in game development and if anything it helps me think outside the box. I will be getting NESmaker in about a week and begin tinkering with it, in fact I'm actually quite rabid to get my hands on it.

I look forward to chatting with the 'lot of ya!

-Cheers!

Dirk

Hi Da Slippery Minx!

I'm looking forward to your games. There have been some quite impressive games for having only 3+1 colours per 16x16 area.
Have you ever created pixel art with Photoshop?
Personally I really like Aseprite, but I guess since you are very knowledgeable with PS it probably be your preferred tool.

I hope you'll have fun here :)

Da Slippery Minx

I have created pixel art in PS, 'can't say it was best geared for it, but at the time it's what I had and what I knew (aside from MS Paint.)

I want to say I've heard of Aseprite, but I can't say for sure, it may have been brought up by a colleague many years back but 'memory is a bit hazy on some details.

Thanks for the greeting!

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Da Slippery Minx

Happy to have you here with us.
NESmaker is a great tool for making small NES games (or prototypes)! Perfect for graphic artists to show their talents. Just following the tutorial videos (all of them) and you will be able to make your own first games.
The tool is not easy... but look at all the games that have been made so far :) (in the WIP or the FinishedGames sections... or also on Youtube).

Can't wait to see what you will create with NESmaker.

Da Slippery Minx

@dale: yea, I'm sure it's not easy, but it seems fairly intuitive (mostly) and that works for me. Scripts seems like the biggest task to handle but oddly I think I'll do fine even though I don't have a lick of programming skills in me. And oddly, after years of avoiding scripts and such, I'm actually interested in this! So view this as a great stepping stone as 8 bit games aren't quite as intensive as the other larger Bit formats (16, 32, etc;) especially 3D.

I grew up with the NES as a kid so the machine is very nostalgic to me, thus it's perfect for me to get my fingers wet and the possibility of others enjoying my game, even on the console it's self! I've got a few ideas on some games, but we'll see if they can really become a reality, frankly I'm not too terribly worried, I know to set my sights realistically; though problem solving is something I enjoy doing.

Dirk

I think NESmaker is a great way to start learning ASM. I've wanted to program for the NES for years, but ASM was a bit intimidating. Now I try to change my code and make do what I want... then I ask dale_coop for help ^^"
But sometimes I manage to do it on my own :)
I think some time ago Joe said on FB he'll have more comments and documentation in the upcoming version so the code will get more transparent.

Top Bottom