A wild noob appears ! *cue the music, FF1 Battle scene*

Hi NESpeople !

I'm Nathan, from Quebec, Canada. Man in his thirties. Vinyl Record (mostly soundtracks) and Cassette tape collector. Fan of Horror genre. I've been lurking around the forum a bit in the past weeks and decided to register. I've been interested in trying pixelart in the past year, but I haven't produced much yet, I find that I need to work on something that's gonna be used for something, not just graphics with no purpose, otherwise I don't put the time in. I think the first time I worked with pixelart was when I worked with RPGmaker 2000. I mostly edited assets, but I enjoyed tweaking and editing art, and designing visuals and story for games. This following picture is the first character I did when I tried my hand in the past couple of months, before I knew about NESmaker and palette restrictions :
RzsLt5r.gif

It's not well shaded, but, I thought it was a good first try, I was happy with the animation, and I was happy that I started with something very small scale at 16x16, and low frame count. I tried a couple of different sizes and ended up with a nice looking size that I thought I'd like to work with :
GCOpFEW.gif

BUT. my animation is too stiff, this walk looks like the character is skiing, so, I thought, you know what, I'm gonna learn the basics first. I looked for game creation software and discovered NESmaker, and thought that this is perfect. I'll learn a lot from creating assets for a nes game with very definite rules, I'll touch a bit of other things I really love, like creating it's music, doing a real booklet and box art, I'll feel the progress while the game is being built, and while I'm at it, I'll produce a real cartridge and offer it to my little brother who collects retro games.

MY GOAL, is to produce a game, have the main character be my little brother, who fight mutants, while searching for his lost cat (which will be named after his real life cat) give him the cartridge next christmas, and tell him it's an original NES game, little known, but very fun. And when he tries it, and sees his, and his cat's names in the game, he'll be like ''what??''.

N7EYLdY.gif
NI9kJMp.gif

I've already learned so much by preparing sprites and resources and watching the tutorials, I'm waiting for the PC I bought to arrive so I can buy Nesmaker and start working scripts and stuff. SO, I wanna say THANK YOU guys for all your insightful threads, it's been very informative to stalk the threads and get pointers on so many stuff already before I even began building my project. Thank you as well for all the future help when I will (assuredly) require assistance.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome nathanlurker

Glad to have you here with us.
NESmaker is an awesome tool to make small games that will showcase your graphics.
Feel free to share your ideas, comments projects, ...
The tutorial videos and the forum have a lot of answers to your questions and issues. But of course, don't hesitate to ask if you can't find your answers.

Have fun!

dale_coop said:
Welcome nathanlurker

Glad to have you here with us.
NESmaker is an awesome tool to make small games that will showcase your graphics.
Feel free to share your ideas, comments projects, ...
The tutorial videos and the forum have a lot of answers to your questions and issues. But of course, don't hesitate to ask if you can't find your answers.

Have fun!

Merci beaucoup, special agent ! I will try to participate in the threads and forum life, and of course I will share my progress. I actually received my PC yesterday and bought Nesmaker, installed Mesen, I'm ready to start tinkering on it after work today ( maybe while spinning a 'damn fine coffee colored' vinyl record soundtrack of a quirky little tv show we both know), and I will try the games of the good people here. đź‘Ť

Top Bottom