Reference Manual or written material??

drjava

Hello.
I've been programming computers of and on since 1964 when I had the opportunity in high school to go to U of Chicago and take a courses in Fortran on IBM 360 mainframe.
The day BEFORE my first son was born, in 1985 I bought him a NES. Of course I had to beat Zelda and Super Mario Bros while waiting for him to be old enough to play.
I learn best with books. With tutorials I have to pause them and repeat sections too often. I also like and overview, what are "assets" what are the steps to create one? What are all the necessary components for a platform game? What are all the configurations that need to happen before you can export it? First and overview, then separate sections on how to make an example each component, and later the lists of all the variations that can be done on each component. I've Googled and I've searched these forums, and it appears that the video tutorials are the only thing I can find. Probably the same material in the tutorials but written with pictures. @dale_coop Do you know of anything written that documents any of this? Anything like the books on 8bitworkshop.com IDE?
Thanks.

drjava

A good alternative if there are no written material would be some simple complete "project files" that could be loaded and explored.
Thanks

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome :)

NESmaker is a great tool to make simple NES games... a lot of resources on the forum.
If you need a project file... I'd suggest to follow ALL the tutorial videos, you will learn how to use, how to set your objects, projects, ...
And you will make your first NES games (projects that you can keep and use as a base for your next projects ;))

Have fun!

Hi Dr.Java !

There's no documentation yet besides what you can find here in the forum, or on the youtube channel, but with the upcoming new version of Nesmaker that's supposed to be released soon, there has been mention of a "Strategy guide" coming up as well. So that might be what you're looking for. It has been mentioned HERE at 1:30 in the video.

Besides that, I've been taking my own notes on how to, and I'm learning by doing small parts and testing them. small mechanics, one at a time.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's an old quick guide... but a lot of concepts explained there are still relevant in the current version

Top Bottom