Hello everyone!

Hello, my name is Siris and I am a Game Designer. I have worked on Handheld, Iphone, Xbox One, PS4, Oculus and PC games over the last 10 years. The NES was my very first console, with the first game I ever played being Super Mario Bros. NES games are pretty near and dear to me as my Dad and I used to play them together when I was a kid. Anyways, I heard about NES Maker, and decided to try it out, seems like a pretty fantastic tool, looking forward to pushing it to its limits haha.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Siris

Glad to have you here with us :)
NEsmaker is an awes tool to create small NES games. When starting, don"t forget to follow the tutorial videos. You will learn how to use it, how to set up the projects and how to customize the module

Also a new version will be released this weekend, and the Byte Off Competition will start... when small games are made in 1 month!

Can't wait to see what you will create with NM

Yeah I saw that, kinda stoked for the competition, my friend and I may have to submit our game to that.

Excited to see the new version already woah. I have gone through the intro crash course video, really well done btw. Not that many people are good at actually making tutorials, that one however was very well done.

I finished that and have a working game, in editor and with Mesen, dont have my cart burner yet so cant test that part. I was trying to figure out how to just get the ROM from the game, I saw in project settings there is an export, but that .NES file wont run on my NT mini, or Nestopia emulator. Says the Mapper is malformed or mismatched. I am going to continue with the other tutorials and see if making the ROM is covered in there, must be some setting I have wrong.

Anyway, NM is great, thanks for the welcome!

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, your game is generated in the GameEngine folder. By default it's named "game.nes", it's a mapper30 rom. Not a lot of emulator (or device) can support the mapper30. The latest FCEUX and MESEN are the only emulators that run it (also fceumm core in retropie/recalbox/retroarch).
But mapper30 NES bards works very well in a real NES console.

Another technic it to fake the header of the rom to a mapper2, using a tool like "iNES header checker"... just open the rom and change the mapper to "Mapper 2", then save. The modified nes. rom should work in some emulators (like NEStopia) and some devices like NES Classic or handheld emulator devices...

Nice, I knew I was on the right track haha. I saw that it was mapper30 and was investigating that, thanks! Glad I wasn't just doing something wrong, onto the rest of the tutorials then!

Top Bottom