HI from (smokey) Northern Colorado!!

Matthew84

80s kid here. ready to make a game. fun fact: I once had all 677 NES carts (only 1 being a RE-PRO, stadium events). I've also build arcade cabinets.
NO programming experience, yet. So I'll be asking YOU for help often. For my first game, I want to make a simple MAZE game.

I'm very excited to make my first NES cart, so I'll cut to the chase with my first quick question:

***Why are all the exported .NES rom files ALL 512 KB?*** And they do not play on my emulator?! (FCEUX).
(whereas NES cart roms vary in size from 25 KB to 768 KB.)

Thanks folks!!

I'm very happy to join this community!!
- Matthew

dale_coop

Staff member
welcome Matthew84 :)

Glad to have you here with us.
NESmaker is an awesome tool to create NES games. Don't forget to follow all the tutorial videos on www.thenew8bitheroes.com/learn (I'd suggest the intermediate ones)

All .NES rom are 512kb because NESmaker produces Mapper30(unrom512) type roms. Those roms have more memory for data and a few other specific functionalities (like the self flashing capability)
The mapper30 roms works on FCEUX and MESEN.
If you wanna test some roms, take a look at the "Finished Games" section on the forum <3

CutterCross

For FCEUX make sure you have version 2.2.3 (or later). Mesen is the best / most accurate emulator for NES stuff in general but FCEUX is a decent option for NESmaker stuff too.

Pauldalyjr

Hello and welcome! Can't wait to see what you create. Fire away with your questions, everyone here is very helpful. The tutorials Dale mentioned are a must, once you are through those you will have a pretty good understanding of the software. The Facebook group is also very helpful and sometimes you can get a quicker answer there.

Matthew84

THANK YOU ALL. I downloaded FCEUX 2.2.3 and that worked!!

....but now, ***HOW to get NESMaker .NES roms to play on actual NES hardware?*** I have the original front-loader NES, connected to a 13" CRT TV :)

I'm using the RetroZone PowerPak with a CF card. I get the error: "File Not Found", after I load the rom.

I will soon be ordering the Everdrive N8 Pro, hopefully that will work. As I do not yet have the "cartridge flasher" device.

Jonny

Hi Matthew. Nice to hear from another 80s kid. I'm also interested in arcade building like you. You could put your finished NES game in a dedicated cabinet that you built.

Newest project is a half scale Nintendo cab for my son...

IMG_20191016_143835.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your maze game.

Jonny

Ayrik

Hi Matthew! I just had the same issue with the flasher and ended up going to the following folder in the NESMaker install path and running the .bat: NESMaker\Flasher\INL-retro-progdump_map30\host\flashcart.bat.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you create!

CutterCross

Matthew84 said:

....but now, ***HOW to get NESMaker .NES roms to play on actual NES hardware?*** I have the original front-loader NES, connected to a 13" CRT TV :)

I'm using the RetroZone PowerPak with a CF card. I get the error: "File Not Found", after I load the rom.

I will soon be ordering the Everdrive N8 Pro, hopefully that will work. As I do not yet have the "cartridge flasher" device.

PowerPak and Everdrive flash carts have patches for Mapper#30 / UNROM 512, which can be found here: https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=236715#p236715
(Though the latest firmware for Everdrive N8 does support it out-of-the-box to my knowledge.)

Or, you can order a NESmaker mapper#30 cart flasher and boards from InfiniteNESlives, like how NESmaker is advertised, though they're currently restructuring orders right now, so everything's out of stock atm.

PasseGaming

Greeting and Salutations! I'm still in the process of catching them all!... well most of them all. I have a hard limit I wont cross price-wise. Anyhow, welcome to the forums!

Matthew84

CutterCross said:
Matthew84 said:

PowerPak and Everdrive flash carts have patches for Mapper#30 / UNROM 512, which can be found here: https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=236715#p236715
(Though the latest firmware for Everdrive N8 does support it out-of-the-box to my knowledge.)

Or, you can order a NESmaker mapper#30 cart flasher and boards from InfiniteNESlives, like how NESmaker is advertised, though they're currently restructuring orders right now, so everything's out of stock atm.

WOW, CutterCross, THAT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Matthew84

dale_coop said:
welcome Matthew84 :)

Glad to have you here with us.
NESmaker is an awesome tool to create NES games. Don't forget to follow all the tutorial videos on www.thenew8bitheroes.com/learn (I'd suggest the intermediate ones)

All .NES rom are 512kb because NESmaker produces Mapper30(unrom512) type roms. Those roms have more memory for data and a few other specific functionalities (like the self flashing capability)
The mapper30 roms works on FCEUX and MESEN.
If you wanna test some roms, take a look at the "Finished Games" section on the forum <3

Thank You, Dale Coop. That makes sense now.

What is your favorite game, from the "Finished Games" section??

Matthew84

Pauldalyjr said:
Hello and welcome! Can't wait to see what you create. Fire away with your questions, everyone here is very helpful. The tutorials Dale mentioned are a must, once you are through those you will have a pretty good understanding of the software. The Facebook group is also very helpful and sometimes you can get a quicker answer there.

Thanks!! I've joined the FB group!

Matthew84

Jonny said:
Hi Matthew. Nice to hear from another 80s kid. I'm also interested in arcade building like you. You could put your finished NES game in a dedicated cabinet that you built.

Newest project is a half scale Nintendo cab for my son...

IMG_20191016_143835.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your maze game.

Jonny

Thanks, Jonny. THAT IS COOL!!!!!
Yeah, it would have to be a superb game, to be worthy of a dedicated cabinet. I like the idea!

dale_coop

Staff member
Matthew84 said:
What is your favorite game, from the "Finished Games" section??

I have a lot of favorites games, Tower of Turmoil, Light in Within, Xenocreeps, Turtle Rescue, Sokobanana, Nezumi, Silver Island, Harry the Dwarf, etc...
(else, of course, I could suggest my own "Underground Adventure" byte-off version... or my son's game KUBO 3 ;))

Top Bottom