Hello World

erockbrox

I backed NESmaker because I'm interested in creating games for older consoles. As we all know, the usually way of making these games is very difficult and there are currently no real advanced programs that exist. Nesmaker seems like a new type of breed of program. While my heart is more into the SNES and other systems, I don't mind working with NESmaker to see what I can create.

I've done some SNES rom hacks in the past, but the problem with these is that you can't really legally own them. Also there are many reproduction websites out there that will take your rom hack and sell it and make profits off of your hard work.

I think that the NES is a literally a legendary system and by making a game for a retro system like the NES I feel as if I am making a contribution to the NES library. Seriously. Any system is really just defined by what software is produced for it. And as more games get made for a console that console's identity literally changes which each game.

A lot of times a console failed because they just didn't have any "killer" games made for them. But since we can always make new games, I like the idea of a console being brought from the dead or "given a second chance". The NES was very popular, but there were other consoles that were not so lucky for instance the Atari Jaguar.

The NES was the very first video game console that I played and I own the system back in the day when I was a kid. I later got a SNES and an N-64. I hope that if the NESmaker tool becomes very popular then other teams might be willing to make a SNES maker or a SEGA Genesis maker or Playstation 1 maker ect.

What's interesting is that you don't need gigabytes of data and teams of hundreds of people to make a great game. All you need is your own imagination and creative freedom and a few kilobytes lol. I tried to use Game Maker Studio 2 to make a game, but the problem is that it look forever for my computer to compile the code. Apparently I wasn't using a fast enough computer. Also I don't always like the idea of the approval process to get published on a system like Switch, Xbox One, PS4. You have to get them to like your game and approve of it, otherwise your just looking at releasing your game on Steam.

Also this is just my opinion, but I dislike PC gaming. No offense, but I've always liked playing on consoles and on my TV with a controller. In fact, I totally dislike the idea of playing a game using my computer keyboard and a mouse. Computers were meant to run all kinds of software. Consoles were explicitly designed to run games.

I did the beta tested at May level for the campaign. I can't wait to try out the program.

JakeSpencer

Hi erockbox, welcome. I agree with you that the NES was a game and paradigm changer. Arguably, everyone who has ever developed titles for other consoles (maybe not PC, to be fair) has borrowed some of the sensibilities and considerations from the original NES. I still very much enjoy replaying games now, 30 years later, myself.

You're right that there are some consoles that fizzled out without getting their due. On the other hand, some consoles had such crazy hardware configurations that some game development studios simply didn't or couldn't work with them. My favorite system of all time might be the Sega Saturn, which had some legendary games on it, but it had such a crazy hardware map to it that it was nearly impossible for most studios. Even today, there is no great emulator for it, and it's been like twenty years. That's one of the things NES had going for it was rock solid hardware.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with using NESMaker!

Top Bottom