Hello, Jeff here

JeffPack

Hi everyone,

Jeff Paquette here. I'm a professional software engineer from Boston, MA and I just joined the NESMaker family last week.

Some of my fondest memories as a child was while playing NES games with my older brother, but I have always dodged creating a game for the NES mostly because of my lack of patience with the learning curve. So far this tool has got me really excited and I'm looking forward to contributing to this community.

This past weekend I wrote an external tool in Java to help with memory conservation when creating graphics for NESMaker but I haven't had a benchmark to test it's effectiveness yet. Essentially it finds and eliminates identical tiles in a BMP and packs the unique 8x8 tiles into one image using every 8x8 square available. This allows you to pack multiple source bitmaps into one bitmap for use in the engine. If anyone would like to try it please let me know and I'll post the JAR file somewhere. Ultimately I'd love to see this functionality built in to NESMaker though.

Cheers,

Jeff

Top Bottom