Red Ant Games

redantgames

Hey folks, I'm Jason I had been doing indie game dev under Red Ant Games for a bucket or so of years. Started countless projects finished none. :)

I kind of gave up on it for a bit while I started running a retro video game store called Red Ant Retro in Northern Alberta. (www.redantretro.com) I focused on both repairs and used games/hardware sales, plus new hardware/accessories like the RetroNs & controllers, etc. Just focusing on the retail side of it now, but I wanted to start doing more with homebrew and then I ran into Joe's awesome kickstarter campaign and here I am. :)

I sorely miss making games and would love to produce some NES games. I've been considering reviving some of my old projects to put on the NES. There are a few that may be a good fit. I now have a platform to sell them from locally at trade shows and across Canada/US by mail.

I'd be very interested in growing a catalog on my store of new games for various other retro systems from other developers as well. Depends on what kind of distribution I can get them through. I have access to newly licensed, reproduced games by Retro-Bit and Piko Interactive, but I'd love to highlight NEW games primarily in a special Homebrew section on the store.

My grand plans... lol

Hopefully I'll be able to show off some cool stuff down the road.

Anyhow just happy to be a part of this exciting new community geared towards making new games for our beloved old system. ;)

JakeSpencer

Hi Jason! Cool background and story. Looking forward to see what you come up with. Do you have plans to collaborate on projects going forward, or making them solo? Cheers from a fellow Canadian. :)

redantgames

Thanks! Over the years I've found it to be very difficult to collaborate as getting to the finish line usually depends on all parties involved having the resolve to finish the project. On the other spectrum, going it alone has often resulted in me not having all the resources to finish a game on my own so I typically have to contact out for things like art and music. I've got a few of my own projects which I hope to bring back to give me a head start, but if a collaboration happens I'd be quite happy to do that as well. Working in a team is far more gratifying for me than going it alone honestly.

Hello, I'm located in Central Alberta just West of Edmonton.

I will be hoping to find someone more technical to work with on my projects as I doubt I'll be able to fine tune them just right, we will see. I do agree it can be difficult to collaborate on a project or difficult to find the right people but the end result often benefits greatly when it does work out. I have now got so many NES game ideas and projects going I'd love to hire a couple people to help if I could find them.

If the NESmaker is half as good as hoped I will learn it well enough to get them done with some minimal help from the forum here. I do graphics and music mostly so more than happy to trade services.

redantgames

Well met good sir! I'd be plenty happy to collaborate on some small projects sometime. (When time will allow!) It's been a long time since I've put my hands to code, but I do miss it. I'm a design/code guy myself so perhaps we can help each other out at some point.

you're like me tried many engines like love2D, tried SecondBasic for the Sega Genesis programming and nothing....so I'm stuck with no made game so I don't do much expect try doing game hacks until the time being.

it would be grand of I knew how to program in C using CC65 of the NES programming or setup GenDev for Linux right XD

Top Bottom