Hello Everyone

elisavage

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to make computer/video games. I remember doing some really simple visual basic programs to make a set of dice for D&D, which was such a hassle when it actually came to playing- firing up the computer, loading the program and selecting dice, when I could just roll in the real world. Ha! It continued on with making some 8 bit games for a college class a few years ago with one of the older iterations of gamemaker. The latest push to making 8-16 bit games again is a means to an end. I am building a raspberry pi/arduino arcade cabinet and I will be loading all of the emulators and games onto it for my partner's birthday, and I want to make the first game loaded about her and her dog, an adventure/platform game. I know, cue barf emoji! After I finish that specific game, I want to continue to create games that I can also eventually flash to carts, and perhaps add cartridge functionality to the cabinet. I'm in the process of trying to do the adventure tutorial and I am running into the compatibility problems between 4.0.06 and 4.0.11. I will trawl through the forums before I ask too many questions. Hopefully when time permits we will have a new tutorial video or assets package that are compatible with the new version.

It is great to see our childhood dreams becoming a possibility because of the hard work of Joe, Austin and everyone involved in this.

Cheers,
Eli Savage

TurtleRescueNES

Welcome!

Don't burden yourself too much with the 4.0.6 to 4.0.11 compatibility. The new 4.1 should be out before long and may be the best place for a fresh start. But you can still watch the videos and play along to learn the software.

Best of luck with your game. It sounds like a great gift for your partner.

elisavage

Thanks! I'll do that then. Playing around even with it being buggy w/compatibility issues is probably a good lesson in debugging and familiarizing myself with the software in the first place.
Eli

jsherman said:
Welcome!

Don't burden yourself too much with the 4.0.6 to 4.0.11 compatibility. The new 4.1 should be out before long and may be the best place for a fresh start. But you can still watch the videos and play along to learn the software.

Best of luck with your game. It sounds like a great gift for your partner.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Eli.
Glad to have you here with us.
Every update, force us to digg into the code and/or functionnalities in order to make our wip working again. Don't worry for that. If you follow the tutorial videos, and check time to time the forum, you will find all the answers you need or/and people
to help you to help you.

birthda

elisavage said:
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to make computer/video games. I remember doing some really simple visual basic programs to make a set of dice for D&D, which was such a hassle when it actually came to playing- firing up the computer, loading the program and selecting dice, when I could just roll in the real world. Ha! It continued on with making some 8 bit games for a college class a few years ago with one of the older iterations of gamemaker. The latest push to making 8-16 bit games again is a means to an end. I am building a raspberry pi/arduino arcade cabinet and I will be loading all of the emulators and games onto it for my partner's birthday, and I want to make the first game loaded about her and her dog, an adventure/platform game. I know, cue barf emoji! After I finish that specific game, I want to continue to create games that I can also eventually flash to carts, and perhaps add cartridge functionality to the cabinet. I'm in the process of trying to do the adventure tutorial and I am running into the compatibility problems between 4.0.06 and 4.0.11. I will trawl through the forums before I ask too many questions. Hopefully when time permits we will have a new tutorial video or assets package that are compatible with the new version.

It is great to see our childhood dreams becoming a possibility because of the hard work of Joe, Austin and everyone involved in this.

Cheers,
Eli Savage
your attachment are good.

birthda

elisavage said:

Cheers,
Eli Savage
your attachment are good.

elisavage

iridium_ionizer said:
Welcome!

What kind of dog? Here is a tutorial for sprite based quadruped animation https://www.patreon.com/posts/quadruped-walk-14012170.

The guy designs these tutorials more for 16-bit systems with there large palettes, # of frames, and character sizes, but there are probably some fundamentals that you can use, at least once you are ready to polish your animations.

It will be a little terrier with a beard if I can pull it off in 8-bit. Thanks for the link, I hope it can at least give me ideas.

Top Bottom