Where to find answers?

derekdraws

Hello! My 9 year old daughter and I are trying to make our way through the Arcade Platformer tutorials, but they don't seem to cover how to add attacks, projectiles, death animations, etc etc etc.

We can't seem to figure out how to even find the answers we're looking for on these forums. Are there any official resources like manuals? Step by step guides for each function of the tool? I'm sure many of you are thinking, "Just search the forums", but we honestly just have so many questions, and are trying to do this together (and she's young and lacking too much focus) and I don't know where to start, or where to go for step by step, incremental learning instructions. Does that make sense?

PasseGaming

There are the many tutorials on the NESmaker page by Joe that teaches you how to use the tool and it's many features. That is most definitely the place you would want to start.

Visit this link https://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/learn find the type of game you'd like to make and follow the three part tutorial. It's probably a good idea to follow all the tutorials at some point to get a really good idea of how to use the tool. Wont get far without following these first.

Pauldalyjr

On youtube if you search NESmaker there are a ton of older tutorials. Some of the info is a little outdated but a lot of it still work similarly. Are you using version 4.5?

PasseGaming

I wouldn't waste your time with those unless you have a solid understanding of coding. You best bet is to follow that link to the current 4.5 tutorials and you'll be good to go. I suggest beginning with the adventure or platformer tutorial. They have the most support and easiest to begin with.

Jonny

PasseGaming said:
I wouldn't waste your time with those unless you have a solid understanding of coding. You best bet is to follow that link to the current 4.5 tutorials and you'll be good to go. I suggest beginning with the adventure or platformer tutorial. They have the most support and easiest to begin with.

Second that. Those two definately have all the things you're looking for.

derekdraws

Thanks everyone! I think my daughter has some very specific ideas of how this is going to work, I'll just remind her that we should go through all the tutorials for each module instead of trying to do anything overly specific gameplay-wise.

Jonny

derekdraws said:
Thanks everyone! I think my daughter has some very specific ideas of how this is going to work, I'll just remind her that we should go through all the tutorials for each module instead of trying to do anything overly specific gameplay-wise.

It's easy to get over eager. I did the same and tried to follow the tutorials haphazardly whilst making the game I wanted.

Ultimately I realised it might seem teadious, but was infinitely better to learn by going through the tutorials step by step. Then, I started my own game knowing the basics.

Also, it won't hurt to do ALL the tutorials, even for game types you're not interested in. After that, just ask on the forum and someone will help.

dale_coop

Staff member
derekdraws said:

You're right, first you should follow all the tutorial videos, I'd suggest to skip the "basic" ones, and follow the intermediate ones (and advanced one if you feel at easy with the intermediate ones).

Haha, yeah, I know that kids can be very specific and strongly minded with their ideas >_<

My son, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6SKDqmlbWA

Top Bottom