Player character isn't appearing

TigressErica

I took a break from the pokemon fan game project that I mentioned in another thread because I decided to learn the software with a much simpler project. I chose a very simple game to recreate in order to learn to make a simple game first. I created the screen. Black tile as walkable and blue tile as the wall. I was making this as I watched the video tutorials. I made the player character and the various frames for animation and such... but when I compile, the world screen that I laid out appears, but my player character is not showing up.

I screen recorded a short video showing what I have done so far, and showed the player character creation area and the various screens for editing the information in hopes that somebody could watch the video and point out what I forgot to do. I'd be VERY grateful if someone was able to tell me what I did wrong as obviously the player character is a very important part of the game. For some reason the audio of what I was saying as I made the video didn't get recorded but hopefully just watching the video will be self explanatory of what I did and did not do.

The second thing I am not clear on how to do is set my hurt left and hurt right animations to the Hurt Reaction options.

https://youtu.be/gtCKuFVlo8Q

dale_coop

Staff member
Something very important in NESMaker and even more in this base module is the hud and the sprite 0 settings.

The hud needs to be 2 rows min and at least 2 cols.
And the sprite needs to be set (even if you don’t want it;))
The sprite 0 is placed under the right bottom of your hud area. AND your spritr0 tile needs to be. NON transparent color.

I ‘d suggest you to test those settings (if your hud is 2 rows) :

2019-01-05-13-58-16.png

With your non-transparent color sprite (tile 127):

2019-01-05-13-58-57-NES-MAKER-4-1-0-Version-0x158-Mon-Jeu-Plateforme-MST.png

TigressErica

Thanks for helping me dale_coop.

I set all the HUD settings and numbers exactly the same as they are in your screenshots, and filled the bottom right frame in the player character tileset to a non transparant color. But when I compile and test now, the entire screen is black with the little white square. Here is a video showing what I've done.

https://youtu.be/siEfPHLkom8

dale_coop

Staff member
Check that your player object is set as “player” and “PERSISTENT”.
(In the “object details” dialog,”details” tab).

TigressErica

I checked the player and persistent boxes for the player. The screen is still all black with that white square.

when I UNcheck "Use Sprite Zero Detection" in the "HUD & Boxes" section, it now shows the world level that I created and now shows the player character I created... but I can't move it. It just stands there doing it's walk animation.

TurtleRescueNES

Couple thoughts... I would not set your players edge and solid detection to Destroy Me. That could easily end your game.

Did you set up a HUD area and game area?

TigressErica

jsherman said:
Couple thoughts... I would not set your players edge and solid detection to Destroy Me. That could easily end your game.

Did you set up a HUD area and game area?

In the video, the game area wasn't set up but since then, I have set it.

Is there any way somebody could create a project with really quick and crappy player image and basic-as-heck tiles (solid black walking area and solid blue wall) and zip up the project that has all the correct settings and such and is working and upload it somewhere or email it so that I can work off of that and learn from that?

TigressErica

Not asking for a quality game, just something that is working--with 1 or 2 screens.

Otherwise I'm going to start over from scratch using the newer tutorials. I was still going off of the older ones. I'm just so stuck.

dale_coop

Staff member
Jsherman right. It looks like you didn’t follow some of some tutorials... (for example the 20min series ones, about making a adventure’ game, a maze game, simple platformer game, shorter game,...
For the movement have you set your input editor?

TigressErica

Yeah, I discovered NESmaker about a week ago when I stumbled on the first video of the OLD set of video tutorials, and have since bought NESmaker, so I was using the old tutorials to learn the software. I was up to the 5th video in the old series. I am now watching the NEWER tutorials and in them, he's covering things I didn't even know about. Sorry everybody.

dale_coop

Staff member
No problem ;) there are a LOT of videos... it’s very fun, but require a lot of time to be watched ;)

Vincent

For some reason when game start Player always faces right direction as default, can we change it so that it faces down?

dale_coop

Staff member
In "Project Settings > User Constants", change the value of "STARTING_DIRECTION":
This will set the starting direction of the player.

Possibilities are:
DOWN = $00
DOWNRIGHT = $01
RIGHT = $02
UPRIGHT = $03
UP = $04
UPLEFT = $05
LEFT = $06
DOWNLEFT = $07

Top Bottom