NESMaker 8 Bit Color Palette???

dale_coop

Staff member
Almost yeah... several colors are missing for some reasons:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1673

The Lenny

How many colors does it support? And...if I use a BUNCH of colors on the screen (background and moving characters), would it slow down the game?

Kasumi

Absolutely not. That image is 76 colors. NES can display a maximum of 25 unique colors without tricks, and the colors can't be placed arbitrarily. NES has no 8 bit color palette, it has 8 different variations of a 64 color palette. (And not all colors in its 64 color palette are unique!)

You can only choose a number between 0 and 63 for a color, you cannot change the color itself (other than choosing one of the other 7 variations). The different variations of the palette cannot be chosen per pixel. So you can't have a pixel with variation 1 of color 0 in between pixels of variations 2 and 3 of color 0. Without tricks, the entire screen will use one variation of the palette.

More colors is not anything that will slow anything down, until you start doing wild things which I can almost guarantee NES Maker won't ever support natively, because its cart hardware makes them more difficult to do than they already are.

Here is one example of the colors you're allowed to use: https://bisqwit.iki.fi/utils/nespalette.php Every four rows represents one set of 64 colors. If you count, you'll notice it's only 56 boxes. That's because the other 8 are black (really!). There are also two of the same white in every palette variation.
Here is an image describing how colors on NES work:
xZeDpmK.gif

If you want more than 25 colors in any given frame, you need to learn how to do some extreme programming, and even using 25 colors has to be done very, very carefully. You can't color reduce an image to 25 colors and guarantee it will be possible to display on NES.

The 13 colors in the image that represent the background must fit into four color sets of three colors with ONE color that can be used anywhere. Every 16x16 pixel region of the screen must use only the 3 colors from any ONE of those four color sets + the one colors that can be used anywhere.

The 12 colors in the image that represent sprites must fit into four color sets of three colors. These can be placed arbitrarily, but there are only 64 sprites and if you have too many of them in a row they also stop displaying.

This is one of the better arbitrary images I've seen on NES. (That doesn't use truly nuts tricks to display.) It is from this game: http://progressivegames.wixsite.com/ys42/game
E50XQFm.png

This is a GIF showing its sprite/background layers alternating.
gBqX9Vi.gif

The area by the traffic light in the background uses blue, black, teal, and white. There was no room for the red, so sprites were placed on top to get that color in that location. Doing things like the above takes very, very careful design. It also uses more than 256 tiles which isn't simple, but not as hard as other things. NES Maker's cart could do that, but it's another thing I don't think NES Maker would support natively.

The Lenny

Thank you SO much!!! Though what you are writing above seems lengthy and almost confusing ...you explained it very well. I understand. Again, thank you.

Top Bottom