Is platforming in a 4-directional game possible?

SerafukuSoftware

Silly question but I'm curious to ask if platforming could be achieved with custom scripts in the Adventure module, or modules that allow 4-directional player input?

For example Platforming RPG's like the Mario & Luigi series (there exists more games but that's the main one I can think of that has these mechanics). A poor but kinda-good example would be 'Little Red Hood' on NES, how it's a top-down game where you can jump over enemies... poorly. I imagine the player jumping in a similar fashion, leaving a small "shadow" below that indicates where they land.

I'm imagining this to be a much more complicated task with the NES than what it is with more modern systems, and taking into account block-placement, gravity, boundaries, etc. However if possible I'm thinking of experimenting with this for a future game project that if done right might actually be quite fun. Like a Super Mario Bros-inspired game but with the camera angle changed to a top-down view, giving off a quasi-3D effect.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of what I could do to achieve this, whether it's possible with NESMaker at this time or not, I'd be gratefully thankful. I'm still messing about with the basics at the moment, as I'm still relatively new to NESMaker.

Cheers!

CutterCross

That's exactly what Mystic Origins/Searches does, which is what The New 8-Bit Heroes created NESmaker for in the first place. So yes, it's absolutely possible, but they haven't shared any information on how they set up that particular platforming system. It would definitely be a more advanced use of NESmaker though, not something for someone just starting out.

SerafukuSoftware

CutterCross said:
That's exactly what Mystic Origins/Searches does, which is what The New 8-Bit Heroes created NESmaker for in the first place. So yes, it's absolutely possible, but they haven't shared any information on how they set up that particular platforming system. It would definitely be a more advanced use of NESmaker though, not something for someone just starting out.

I kinda feel bad I completely forgot about Mystic Origins/Searches at the time of writing , which the game itself answers my question. ^^'' Well now I'm a hell of a lot more excited for Mystic Searches release, which is looking to be fantastic! Hopefully after its release Joe and crew may release some advanced tutorials on how to replicate the game's mechanics. We'll just have to wait until then, and hopefully by then my knowledge will be greater than it is now xD

Thanks for answering, Cuttercross

Top Bottom