Screen triggers other than NPC

Is there another way to trigger a screen other than an NPC? I see that "NPC is trigger" is baked in NESmaker as one possibility for triggering screens, but I don't see any others. For example, can killing an enemy then be a trigger? or walking on a certain tile? Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
Of course, you could do that
Just add this line
Code:
  TriggerScreen screenType
In any script you want to execute/trigger the screen.
This code triggers the current screen.

Hmm, so something that just occurred to me: triggers only affects sprite placement, NOT tile placements? so I can't have the tiles change when a screen is triggered?

I ask because when I make changes to the tiles when I've selected triggered when editing a screen, it also changes it for triggered. Or am I missing something?

Hmm, so with monster locks, I realize that monster locks don't work for some reason, and even if I were to try Dale's scripts posted in another thread, they wouldn't work because in order to get my melee object to not disappear when hitting an enemy, I had to comment out "; JSR countAllMonsters" in handleobjectcollison.

dale_coop

Staff member
I am pretty sure even without the "countAllMonsters" in handleobjectcollison, the monster locks should work.(because it's the ones in HandleMonsterHurt.asm and in Handle_CheckForMonsters.asm that are used for the monster lock).

Ok great thanks!

Alternatively, I am trying to figure out how to make a monster solid but not hurt me. Tried playing around with some of the collison code and moving it over to an action step but that didn't work. I tried checking off "no player collisions" in the monster options menu, but that just makes it so you can walk through it (in the old adventure tutorial, this same thing seemed to keep the object solid but made it do no damage; see the segment of the video where he sets up a solid statue that shoots).

dale_coop

Staff member
About monsters as platforms, there are some topics about that. No real script or tutorial... seems nobody really succeeded.
It would not be really difficult, just need some custom code in the handleObjectCollision...
But can't digg into that before the end the competition. I really don't have enough time >_< Sorry man

dale_coop said:
About monsters as platforms, there are some topics about that. No real script or tutorial... seems nobody really succeeded.
It would not be really difficult, just need some custom code in the handleObjectCollision...
But can't digg into that before the end the competition. I really don't have enough time >_< Sorry man

Absolutely, I totally understand, you have been such an amazing help with things!! (including things that, frankly, I feel like should have been working from the get-go/why it would be nice to have the deeper tutorials again; the 20 minute ones really seem to skip a lot of things).

dale_coop

Staff member
You right on that, the 20 minute doesn't go deep on informations... because it's just for starting making a simple game, and user could just customize the assets. The plan is having more advance tutorial videos... but not yet released ;)

Top Bottom