Cannot use disable HUD in screen options (scroll module)

drexegar

Cannot disable HUD in scroll module even when scrolling is off or using single screen or else the game will crash, is there a way to ignore the sprite zero during those screens?

dale_coop

Staff member
You have to set the sprite0 even if you don't use it.
Then, you can set the "HIDE_HUD" user constant to "1" (in Project Settings > User constants). It should... hide the HUD ;)

drexegar

dale_coop said:
You have to set the sprite0 even if you don't use it.
Then, you can set the "HIDE_HUD" user constant to "1" (in Project Settings > User constants). It should... hide the HUD ;)

I am using sprite zero, and when I mean single screen, I was talking about the option in the screen options not the single screen core or adventure if there is any confusion.
When I change use constant to HIDE_HUD 1 all it does is just hides the hud on every screen.

Because the Hud is hidden this makes the game crash because there is no more corner hud to collide with the sprite zero. I just want to hide the hud during cutscenes, but the Hide HUD option in screen settings does not work for the scrolling module.
Making the text black solves this but also I just realized I cant see my text. So that was out of the question.

I only have three solutions one workaround and one that could help a lot of people.

- Disabling the zero sprite check in some screens, if that is possible
- I have no choice but just design the game like an old school arcade. Since you can't have cut scene text without the HUD showing
- Or I use the Icarus HUD which I didn't want to use because I don't have room for sprites.

SO ill have to go with choice number 2 if there is no solution to 1. which may be a bit fun!

dale_coop

Staff member
Actually, you can set your sprite0 in "Hud & boxes" (because you have to, else the game will crash/freeze) AND use the hide_hud user constant.. to not display the HUD. See :

scrollingWithoutHUD.gif

I used a non-transparent tile (in gameobjecttiles.bmp) and my tile for background is a non-transparent too (I used the blue).

Tutoral video about the Sprite0:
[media]https://youtu.be/o7m4gxhgX0U[/media]

drexegar

dale_coop said:
Actually, you can set your sprite0 in "Hud & boxes" (because you have to, else the game will crash/freeze) AND use the hide_hud user constant.. to not display the HUD. See :

scrollingWithoutHUD.gif

I used a non-transparent tile (in gameobjecttiles.bmp) and my tile for background is a non-transparent too (I used the blue).

Tutoral video about the Sprite0:
[media]https://youtu.be/o7m4gxhgX0U[/media]

Of Course my HUD is set I have scrolling, maybe its my sprite size... It might not play well with no hud option on... Ill have to do further testing my scrolling works but when i disable hud it freezes.

Mugi

well, if you have sprite zero in use and you dont have hud, there's no sprite0 hit, and hence it freezes.

drexegar

dale_coop said:
If you use a background with a non transparent color you have a sprite0 hit :)

Didnt know that. well it works now that I put a non transparent background piece, but for some reason it still draws the life bar.

drexegar

dale_coop said:
You mean no HUD sauf the healt bar!
A screenshot?

I cant post a screen shot because of some quota thing

But I can tell you this, only the default area of the life bar that controls the life is effected, if I make another Var file, it wont show up, so the default health into a var renders. So I think it has to do with the draw hud health somewhere?

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, totally possible... that glitches in that... you could move the myHealth var from Element 2 to Element 5 or 6 (any unused one) , renaming myHealth to UserVar_2, then renaming UserVar_5 to myHealth ... and set agin your hud elements.
This should help fixing that hud health glitch.

drexegar

Here is a screen shot:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZNg3EIHBoTc52G9JW7Z051eLtGVXDVNp

That life bar is on top and im using the HIDE HUD option in the screen settings

There is a second life bar under it which doesn't draw, so the problem is with the default myhealth var part of the HUD

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, I understand... have you try my workaround? (moving from element 2 to element 5)
(the element 2 has special code in the hud drawing code... it's the reason I suggest you to change)

drexegar

dale_coop said:
Yep, I understand... have you try my workaround? (moving from element 2 to element 5)
(the element 2 has special code in the hud drawing code... it's the reason I suggest you to change)

Well it works, but now the drawing the HUD is off like older versions of nesmaker (you see your life till you first get hit) and the death animation stops working even more.

I already behind and not going to spend time dealing with the HUD ill just hope it will be fixed in the next version.

Top Bottom