[SOLVED] Sprites draw on top of text boxes?

JeffPack

So I've been going through the tutorials with no problems until now.

I'm using NESMaker 4.1.5. The input scripts no longer match up with the tutorial but there is a "similar" script. Found in 'Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\ActivateTextBox.asm'. But this script opens a textbox no matter where you stand on the screen. Instead I am using the script found in 'Basic_NoScroll\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\b_activate_text_box.asm'.

I don't think my problem has to do with the script itself since both scripts cause the following issue - sprites aren't being hidden, so they are being drawn on top of the text box.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, b_activate_text_box.asm is the script to use :)
In the 4.1, the sprites are not hidden... so then appears on top of the text boxes.
In the 4.0, the sprites were all hidden.
You can go back to that functionality, if you want, modify the HandleTextBox.asm script (in Routines\System), search for "HideSprites" and "ShowSprites" and just uncomment those lines.

JeffPack

So I was able to get the 'Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\ActivateTextBox.asm' working for NPC collision by uncommenting the lines in 'Part II' but I am still having the same problem where the sprites are drawing on top of the text box.

Also, the palette for background tiles to the right of the text box changes when the text box is open.

JeffPack

OK THanks dale_coop! I was able to get the sprites to hide and show in the script as you stated, except that I was able to do it from the 'DefinedScripts' folder within the editor.

Still having the palette problem though.

dale_coop

Staff member
For your palettes... you have to modify your text area (in Hud & boxes)
Reduce it (by 1) to right side.

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't know the size of your text zone, but if too small, you can make it bigger too, it should work.
(needs to be multiple if 32pixels)

Top Bottom