Using Monsters/NPCs as searchable objects

superNESjoe

I'd like to have objects that are basically chests that the player can search and obtain items from. Here's the basic logic I'm looking for.

- A "search" tile is placed next to an object the player can search (chest, drawer, etc)
- If the player presses a button while colliding with this tile, it performs a search check
- The default response triggers a dialogue box informing the player nothing is there.
- If something is there, it triggers a dialogue box informing them what they found, and adds an item to their inventory
- The search tile now remembers that this item has been collected, and will trigger the default "nothing is here" text.

Alternatively, I'd like to do a variation of this
- The player interacts with the "search" tile and it checks for a specific item in their inventory
- If the item is there, it removes it and then performs some sort of response

In general, it'd be nice if there was a tutorial somewhere to help with the concept of locked doors and keys. I know I can use a variable for keys, but I don't know how to set up a "door". My guess is it'd be a solid tile that is destroyed when the player
walks into it if they have a key, but I have no idea how to script a tile that reacts in that way and then replaces itself with something else.

Top Bottom