trying to find a workaround for vertical transitions

digit2600

My game uses a lot of vertical transitions as it is slightly metroidy... and while this usually works ok, if you played the silver island demo, I'm sure at some point you may have gotten snagged either going down or up a screen...

I've considered using warp tiles, but since you can only warp in and out to one place, that seems impractical... has anybody come across either the problem or solution to this top and bottom bounds issue at all ? I'm sure it will be fixed in a later build or patch, but this is one of those things I'm thinking if anyone on here has any clue as to either fix it or at least where to attempt to fix it, would be quite useful...

I'm gonna start tinkering with the bounds scripts myself, but I may just end up hitting my head against a wall.

Mugi

the problem with the bounds code (atleast in the scrolling platformer) is not that the code itself is bad, but it's execution greatly puzzless me.
here's how it works, if you're colliding HORIZONTALLY while you proceed to do a VERTICAL transition, the fact that you have a horizontal collision triggered, makes the code completely ignore the vertical bound, thus things happen.

Kasumi pointed this out in my compo demo thread ( read it here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2332&start=10#p14484 ) by demonstrating how hugging a wall while climbing the vertical section of my game would either screenwrap (that screen is flagged as single screen) or warp you to what seemed to be the screen below (in a non single-screen room.)

im fairly sure jorotroids scroll core already addresses this issue, and i can try to gobble something for this at some point, but i'll have to see how to write up something that doesnt give everyoen a headache to implement (in my game the collision/bounds macro was split into separate H and V macros and made to behave in a more sensible way.)

digit2600

No rush or anything, but if you figure something out.. this is a pretty big game breaker, and I know I kinda have to consciously not hug the wall when jumping up, or even sometimes going down.

Top Bottom