No flasher drivers seem to work for me, can't read full error text

Havok

Ugh, I hate to be that guy, but I just got my flasher from INL (mini model), and I can't seem to flash the cart. I've tried the default installers from both 4.1.0 and 4.1.5. I've tried the alternate flasher folders from the Dropbox links on other flasher problem threads. I've tried the installer from the INL github link. I've tried removing the flasher and reinstalling it. I've tried installing different combinations of installers on top of each other. The cart is facing the right way. All that happens after I start the 'Make Cart' process is the expected initial cmd prompt, and once I press a button to continue, some sort of (presumably error-related) text appears in another cmd prompt, and then the prompt disappears so quickly that I can't even read what it said. I even tried screen recording it hoping to be able to freeze-frame the window, but it's still too fast to catch completely. The most I can get out of it is this, but there is more text that followed it that I couldn't record legibly:

DEBUG source/inlprog.c:172: flags= o:0 n:0 e:0 f:0 h:0 i:0 t:0 x:0 y:0 T:0
DEBUG source/inlprog.c:173: args= b:(null) c:(null) d:(null) m:(null) p:(null)
DEBUG source/inlprog.c:174: args= s:scripts\inlretro.lua v:(null) C:(null) L:(null) K:(null)
DEBUG source/inlprog.c:175: args= 0:(null) P:(null) S:(null) W:(null)

I don't know where to look for any log files of the error, if they even exist. Can anyone help me make some sense out of this gobbledygook? What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

PS: If it's relevant, Troll Burner is still present when I try to test the cart.

EDIT: After some more attempts at screen capturing, I managed to catch the following error text:

[ERROR] (source/usb_operations.c:110: errno: None) Unable to open USB device: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform.
DEVICE FOUND, BUT CAN'T OPEN DEVICE, VERIFY DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED!!!
open_usb_device went to error
freeing device list
deinitializing

The rest is illegible.

Havok

I figured it out. And because we all hate when someone just posts that without explaining how they figured it out, let me explain what I did.

I had been using a different, longer USB-B cable that I normally use for a microphone, which was itself connected to a USB hub. I did this due to the fact that I use a desktop PC located at enough distance from my work area that it's inconvenient to plug in a USB device like the flasher directly to the PC, especially using the short cable provided with the kit. Acting on a hunch due to bad past experiences with USB hubs and devices like scanners, etc, I plugged in the flasher directly to the PC using the provided cable, installed the default 4.1.5 flasher drivers, and bingo! It worked like a charm.

So yeah, don't use USB hubs for data transfer is the lesson, I guess.

Makinit

I have run into a similar issue. When I attempt to write to the cartridge I get the second cmd window but it open and closes without completing the write. Here is the output of the second window before it closes.

Capture.PNG

jmkdev

I encountered that earlier today and was able to solve it by running the flashing manually as an admin.

Basically, open up the windows command prompt (or your terminal of choice; I use CMDer) as admin by right clicking it in the start menu and choosing "Run as Administrator", then navigate to your flasher folder in your nesmaker install.

From there, cd into "INL-retro-progdump-map30" and then into "host" and run flashcart.bat from that admin command prompt. If NESMaker hasn't done it already you may need to copy your most recent "game.nes" into the folder first.

Top Bottom