HUD using monster pallet?

pit.baldriz

Hi guys!

Do you know if there is a way to use a monster pallet on the HUD? I´m using a simple scrolling platformer module.

Thanks!

FrankenGraphics

you have 4 subpalettes for background, and 4 subpalettes for sprites (monsters). This is a hardware definition so there's no way around it! Well, unless you make the HUD sprite based (castlevania 2 and megaman style, for example).

Of course, how you decide to colour in those subpalette is up to you.

pit.baldriz

The thing is that my HUD is using sub-pallette 4 from the background and I can´t find where to change that. Maybe to other sub-pallette as the 4 is already used for other graphics.

HUD is always BG palette #4. It's probably going to be easier to just work around that rather than try to change it in the engine. Taking a palette from monsters or player graphics will likely be even more frustrating.

FrankenGraphics

You can change what palette is used. If you've already done a lot of work that relies on it being something other than pal 3 (we count from 0 with palettes, so palette id:s are 0,1,2,3), this is an alternate solution. If you're just getting started though, i suggest you commit to palette #3.

Someone asked a similar question on fb. i made a quick fix for changing that.

read the description in the comments carefully though - you still need to "paint" the top lines of each screen in accordance, since the scrolling preparation routines will likely overwrite this fix, depending on what you're doing with your game.

click on the "F" badge below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmakers/permalink/886857658335227/

rimoJO

A simpler answer would be: Know what the exact order of colors on the MSTR palette is, then copy that palette to the fourth subpalette of the main palette.

FrankenGraphics

I don't think using monster colours specifically were the problem. From the looks of it, OP has used subpalette #3 for things in the playfield, which supposedly doesn't look good on the HUD (which is hardcoded to #3 in the vanilla NM engine). So instead of having to edit all the screens that relied on using palette #3, they looked for a simpler way to assign some other palette to be used for the HUD attributes. Unfortunately, the total of 4+4 subalettes are not shared across sprite and background attributes (there are no attribute bits to access the palettes of the other plane), so their initial idea wouldn't work out.

You can still dedicate any and all of the background palettes 0-3 to the HUD though, with a little programming.

Again unfortunately, there's a bug in the scrolling routines that overwrite the attributes of the HUD, so you either need to:

a) dance around the bug by clonestamping the top of every screen with the attribute you want, or

b) find and remove the bug.

Top Bottom