Noob question - Why Can I only select one palette for any of my Game Objects?

wiggy

I created "Player1" Game Object, frame, health, animations, and assigned it the palette I created "player1pal".

When I try to create another Game Object, the palette drop down is selected to player1pal, and is grayed out, I cannot change it.
I've saved the project, closed it out, reopened it, still grayed out no matter which one I try and edit, so I can't use another monster palette I created because its grayed out. :x

Help!

Thanks,

Wiggy

Woogz

Your 2 game object palettes can only be set in your first game object. Meaning if you want to change your palette, you have to select your first object (which should be your player object) and you can customize the palettes from there. The same 2 game object palettes will be shown in every other object grayed out since you can only modify those palettes in the first object. To use the palettes on each object, all you gotta do is left click on the palette you want to use and you're good to go.

dale_coop

Staff member
Exactly as Woogz wrote. ALL the Game Objects use the sub-palettes of the Player object. It means for them, you can only specify to use the sub-Pal #1 or sub-Pal #2.
The colors for the sub palette #1 and sub Palette #2 are set on the Player object (this object is the MAIN game object).

wiggy

@Woogz @dale_coop

Thanks guys, that worked!!
Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from a week vacation in Alaska, had no internet haha

So if I understand correctly, that means if I do a 2 player game, I can only have 2 palettes? For example, I can use sub 1 for player 1, sub2 for player 2.

dale_coop

Staff member
Exactly... you have only the same 2 sub-palettes for ALL your game objects. It means if you make a 2 player game, your player is a game object too (by default the last one), it will use too.
But if you can use different graphics, and use the same colors but differently ;)

wiggy

@dale_coop Ahh, I see what you're saying. I'm a little concerned that the game objects also needing to use the same palettes, but using the colors a bit differently is a great idea.

It makes me think of Zelda though. The bombs, the arrows, the jewels, bracelets, etc. are all game objects yet have different palettes (at least more than 4 colors between all of them). So is this a NESMaker limitation or something else?

dale_coop

Staff member
Exactly, it’s a NESMaker limitation... in reality, nes could access to 4 sub palettes for the objects, but NESMaker keeps 2 sub palettes for the monster objects.

Top Bottom