How do I create multiple warps on the same screen?

Hi all!

I am currently working on a game. That needs the use of more than one warp tile on the same screen please. The idea is to give the player more than one option. That sends the player off to different screens. (Not the same screen though. Each warp tile needs to send the player to a different room) So that there choices can be resolved in those different rooms. But at the moment with the Adventure Mod. The is only one warp attribute from what I can see. I would need to make a link for attribute 7-warp, 8-warp etc. How many I would need to create those different links. To send the player off to those different rooms to make the game work. I have also found in the warp scripts that Joe that helped make Nesmaker, left a note. Suggesting a way on how to create multiple warps on the same screen. But I don't understand Nes assembly language well enough yet. To understand what he means. I am currently trying to learn assembly language at the moment. If anyone knows how to do this and knows how to create new attribtutes? Knows what scripts to edit to make this work and can give me a step by step guide to help me learn? Then please reply to this post. Thanks.

My second question would be once I can make the multiple warps work. Is there anyway for a walkable tile to activate the warp instead? By colliding the tile with the player and activating the warp by pressing either the A or B button. Instead of it being automatic, if anyone knows how to answer either question or both questions? Then please let me know.

Bucket Mouse

I figured it out. It requires some customization for your specific game, but I explain how here:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2553

As for having it work with a button, instead of automatic....I would guess you have to put this at the top:

Code:
    LDA gamepad
    AND #%00000011 
    BNE Jumptocode

JMP Notanything

Jumptocode:

I'm not so great with this stuff that I can say for sure. Try it and see.

Thank you Bucket Mouse for your reply. :D How do I use this code though? What scripts would I need to edit using the Adventure Mod for Nesmaker? Would I need to create more than one new attribute? To make these tiles work this way. What I am trying to achieve for my game is that. Imagine the player has entered a room with four staircase tiles in it. Each stair tile leads to different room. With a different consequence in each room and now the player has to choose. Which staircase to go down to progress in the game. That is the feel I am trying to create. I am absolute beginner at this though, could you please. Put together a short dummy's step by step beginners guide using sprites. You get already get with Nesmaker. Assuming the reader has no knowledge of the program beforehand. Using screen prints and to take the reader step by step. To explain what your solution was from your last post and how I could achieve this? If you give me a link. On your next post to a page like that. Would be much appreciated. I am a visual sort of learner. So I would learn a lot quicker that way. Thanks.

Bucket Mouse

I'm a freelance reporter and it's E3 right now. I have no time whatsoever to make pictorials of the explanation in that topic; sorry.

The Ultimate Warp script isn't for beginners, really, it's for people who have done some work with ASM before. I had zero experience a few months before I wrote that, so it doesn't take forever to learn.

Thanks for your reply. I completely understand, enjoy E3 :D and thank you for your help in your previous post.

(My original question is still open to anybody. If you know how to achieve having multiple warp tiles in the same room. Going to different rooms and can break it down for me? Please reply to this post. Thanks.)

dale_coop

Staff member
Having multi warps is not an easy thing. It would required specific scripts for your game.
If you are not good with ASM, I don’t think it is a really good idea to digg into that.
Maybe you could try designing your game differently ? Maybe warps on 3 different screens and different ways to go there...?

Search in the forum, try to implement scripts like Bucket Mouse one (it’s very specific, but it works very well...).

Top Bottom