Mesen Laggin?

Chasersgaming

Hi,
im having some issues with mesen. When i test my game the animations are so slow, and definitely not running at the speed i set. Ive checked all the 'pointer' stuff and that seems fine. Ive tried other ROMs and they run fine, i just can't figure out why its doing it, worked fine before, and ive made no changes since. Ive restarted my pc, still the same result. If someone could enlighten me, or point me in the right direction of what i have done wrong for mesen to 'Lag', which is the best way i can describe it.
Im using NESmaker 4.1.5
Objects Details: (Player)
Persistant,
Normal Max Speed = 60 (i have edited this to see if there was any difference)
Acceleration Speed = 255 (full)
Jump = 0 ()haven't got that far yet :)
Animation set is 'Idle', 4 frames. 16x24.

dale_coop

Staff member
Is your player "lagging" when there is no monster?
Try your Player on a empty new screen (no monster, no objects... just graphic asset tiles)...

Chasersgaming

I have no monsters or anything. I only have 1 player character with an 'idle' animation and 1 'grass' tile set asset so far, with no assign code. (as yet), its just not playing ball man. i ve tried 7 different rooms all with the same 'laggy' result. Maybe i should uninstall mesen, and reinstall. Il see how i go with tha and start over.

Chasersgaming

Started again, reinstalled Mesen, now i get this issue, I mean, where do i find this stuff to fix it? Is it a sprite issue? a BMP canvas in the wrong place? wrong size canvas? an animation issue? Tile set? I'm completely at a loss right now. :(
R0zgR0b

Unhandled Exception has occurred.
"Parameter must be positive and < Height.
Parameter name y"

dale_coop

Staff member
Looks like your chr is corrupted or maybe your project? Don't know exactly...
You should try contacting Joshua Fallon (on facebook) with this screenshot. He might be able to help you (he designed the tool) ;)

Chasersgaming

I figured it out, it was a BMP/CHR File was to small in size. A 'Pathtile' to be precise. I saved what i had, and not the whole 128x64 in size. :) oops, well at least if someone else makes that mistake they will have an idea of where to look now. :) I don't use facebook.
Thanks for coming to my aid again Dale. :)

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you Chasersgaming for your finding.
It would be great if the tool would check every tilesets sizes when loading and give a more understandable message ;)

I am so glad you don't use FB. Personally I hate it. So sad, when I see member posting their issues there... When it's code issues, I want to hit my head on walls. Writting there, searching there is HELL.
I prefer the forum, it's easier and more calm... And not too hard to search and find useful information.

Chasersgaming

Facebook is not really the place to find answers, or to go looking really, it should all be maintained and kept inside a forum, and legit documentation, that's why i will always come here, Facebook is far to casual for something lie this, but i get it if you need to get the attention of someone, but it's not for me. :)

Yeah, perhaps when saving a CHR file after editing it NESmaker should stop you from doing so if the 'Parameters' are incorrect, least you can nip that in the bud straight away. What happened with me is after i got the pop up message, i hit close and it shut down NESmaker, so after restarting and reloading the project i had lost all the animations i had just put into the project as i didn't save, or was asked to save the project before a closed. It's no big deal, but i can imagine had i had done more animations or more code work and lost that then i would of been quite cross about it. it was fortunate this time, so, save save save at every opportunity you get is my advise. Although it does give you the option of 'Continuing' without closing, i just clicked the wrong button, but sadly it happens. :)

i shall try again tomorrow and hopefully wont have the lag issue with Mesen, i still haven't been able to check that again yet.

dale_coop

Staff member
I agreed with you for FB.

I often have (not) saving issues too... I forget to click on the floppy after modifying some scripts directly in "Scripts > Input Scripts"... or in the Pixel Editor... Yeah, it's something to be careful about :p
Let me know if you fixed your issue of laggin.

Top Bottom