Naming convention

Dirk

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I have the following problem and every time I try to name something this issue pops up again.
How do you name your files?

Let's say we want to customize a script file like HandleCollisions.asm
I want to name it something with "user" in it, but do I call it 1) user_HandleCollisions.asm or 2) HandleCollisions_User.asm?
Option 1 makes it easy to find user files, while option 2 makes it easy to see if you are using a custom version of a script since they appear next to each other in file explorer.

Not a big problem, but it has been bothering me for years ^^

How do you guys handle this?

dale_coop

Staff member
Your right, it's a good question...
Personally, I use to keep the original name, just adding a suffix ("HandleCollisions_DC.asm" for example), because I like every script to be at the same place that the original, just in case I want to compare my custom script with the orignal one.
But, I know some coders prefer keep their customs script in a complete different folder... outside of the Basic folder, all scripts together.

Depends of your habits.

Another is now for my projects (not my debuging/testing demos), I use SVN, so I can keep track of every modifications I can make in the scripts (what I modified and when).

Dirk

Hm, I think I'll stick to calling it filename_user too, because I can see more easily if there is a modified version.

SVN sounds interesting and I think I should start using it. From reading about it in Wikipedia right now I can see there are different GUIs for it. Can you recommend one of them?

dale_coop

Staff member
I use TortoiseSVN client.
If you never used SVN (or Git) before, it will not be easy. I use it to connect to private svn server a co-worker of mine have.
But when you get used to it, it's very useful.
(else for my testing demos, I make classic zipped backups ;))

Dirk

Thank you! I guess it will be a steep learning curve for me, but in the end very helpful. I'm already confused by all my different scripts and I haven't done that much yet.

Top Bottom