Jumping in Adventure, ideally jump-kills and jump-hurts

vufka

Dale Coop kindly encouraged me to continue asking for help here, so here goes!

In the Mystic Searches Trailer seen below:
[media]https://youtu.be/RvmXPqI0xaY?t=31[/media]

At 31s, the player is seen able to jump despite being in an adventure-style module rather than a platformer. The player is able to move in four directions without gravity, but "jump" and sort of fake an additional dimension.

I would like to be able to jump in Adventure mode without any gravity, so my player can freely move up/down/right/left but press A to appear to "jump" and, ideally, use this to jump to squash enemies on the screen.

I have tried to import the SimplePlatformer jump scripts (both simple and var) and apply them to buttons for press / MainGame and nothing seems to happen. I tried turning on gravity on one screen, which seems to make my character fall and get stuck. I tried messing with the jump and gravity constants in case those have any effect, but didn't achieve anything.

It would be really cool to be able to use the jump-kill or jump-hurt scripts that others have, but I worry that Adventure is not the place for it. Has anyone gotten jumping in Adventure to work? Is there a simple way to achieve this, or would this be complicated and require custom scripts beyond what is currently in the community?

Mugi

as far as i know, the jump scripts that currently exist are all made for the platformer-mode gravity (ie. up/down movement) and will absolutely not work on the adventure module's movement mode.
for getting this "2.5D" movement mode that mystic searches uses, you'll either have to brew it on your own or pray to buddha for Joe to add it to 5.0 on nesmaker :p

vufka

Now that I am starting to post more on here, I am getting weirdly starstruck by everyone whose work I have been seen in the Byte Off. Dimension Shift is breathtaking. I can't imagine how you did the stage select screen and can't comprehend how you made everything so beautiful.

Anyway, yes, that is what I expected and feared. I hope he includes it but I am not as smart as some about making custom scripts. I will keep an eye on this issue/feature and, until then, my player will remain firmly attached to the ground.

Mugi

vufka said:
Now that I am starting to post more on here, I am getting weirdly starstruck by everyone whose work I have been seen in the Byte Off. Dimension Shift is breathtaking. I can't imagine how you did the stage select screen and can't comprehend how you made everything so beautiful.
Anyway, yes, that is what I expected and feared. I hope he includes it but I am not as smart as some about making custom scripts. I will keep an eye on this issue/feature and, until then, my player will remain firmly attached to the ground.

here's how i made the stage selection screen: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1788
it's actually a fairly simple piece of code, and comes with an added advantage of including a mechanic for completely hiding the player for cutscenes et cetera.
as far graphics goes, they are a long, long process, believe me when i say that.

as far as the whole adventure module jumping goes, we'll have to see, I'd imagine it's a somewhat wanted feature for adventure games (scrolling platformers anyone? :p) so i suppose one way or another it will happen at some point.
scrolling did :p

Chasersgaming

I'm working on a game that will require the same jump, i'm still yet to get to this part yet, but my logic here (which i have used in another software) is to create another object(maybe player object) when a jump is performed, underneath the player, that moves the same directions as the player does, once the gravity kicks in, the player will land on the created object(most likely a 'shadow') and change to a normal state where the gravity physics no longer take effect, unless the jump is performed again. That's probably how i will do it, but i'm no where near testing out, so there will most likely be other problems with doing this i have yet to for see. But if anyone trys this way id love to see how it goes. :)

Top Bottom