[4.1.5] Cutscene making

SoulBlayzR

[4.1.5] Cutscene making

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Hey again, I keep having problems with my game... This time, I'm trying to make a cutscene.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish - sometimes there will be cafes you can enter. Doing so should initiate a cutscene. But it doesn't work right...
(Sorry for the large image! I tried making it smaller, but it didn't work...)

First of all, the player should be invisible. But, CutterCross' "hide player" tile collision doesn't work for this. Is there another thing I can do?
Next I want to open a text box. I made an AI script that does that, but it only opens the first text in the group. Is there a way to open any other texts?
Finally, when I attempt to hide the HUD, the health meter still shows up for some reason. I'm not sure why this happens, but I'd like a way to fix it...

As for the cutscene itself, well... When Lily enters the cafe I want her to walk over and take a seat. Then, the Barista asks her what she wants, and then she goes back and gets the drink for her. Another text box comes up telling her to enjoy her drink, and after a wait, another textbox will come up with the conversation. Finally, Lily gets out of her seat, and the Barista tells her goodbye in the last textbox.

How difficult would that be?
dale_coop

Re: [4.1.5] Cutscene making

Post by dale_coop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 pm

For the cuttercross' invisible tile... if I remember well, the screen needs to have gravity set in order to work. Have you tried (just make all the tiles around your player, "solid" tiles).

For the hide hud issue... you need to modify the script assigned to the "Handle HUD data" element in "Project Settings > Script Settings", at line 2, add this bloc of code:

Code: Select all

;; if "hide hud" is set for the screen, skip this script:
	LDA screenFlags
	AND #%00000001
	BEQ +
	RTS
+
For your text, have you try using the ">" to separate your text in pages...
for example, for your Text:

This is the text 
of my page 1>
Now the page on 
the page2>
This is the
last page

When you press "b" it should show the next page... until the end.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 pm
For the cuttercross' invisible tile... if I remember well, the screen needs to have gravity set in order to work. Have you tried (just make all the tiles around your player, "solid" tiles).

For the hide hud issue... you need to modify the script assigned to the "Handle HUD data" element in "Project Settings > Script Settings", at line 2, add this bloc of code:

;; if "hide hud" is set for the screen, skip this script:
	LDA screenFlags
	AND #%00000001
	BEQ +
	RTS
+
For your text, have you try using the ">" to separate your text in pages...
for example, for your Text:

This is the text 
of my page 1>
Now the page on 
the page2>
This is the
last page

When you press "b" it should show the next page... until the end.
- I added gravity to the screen, but whenever the text box opens, Lily shows up. When it disappears, she does too. The monster version of Lily is unaffected by this.

- The fix you provided for the HUD worked, thank you.

- As for the text, the problem is that I can only have 255 characters in one text entry, so although I can use >, I'd run out of space very fast. And I have a lot of text to display... Instead, I'd like a way to change the text entry currently used to another text in the same text group.
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 am

SoulBlayzR wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 pm

- As for the text, the problem is that I can only have 255 characters in one text entry, so although I can use >, I'd run out of space very fast. And I have a lot of text to display... Instead, I'd like a way to change the text entry currently used to another text in the same text group.
So do I! I've pored over the HandleTextBox display code multiple times, and I just can't find the one component that will let me reload the box with the next 255 characters instead of having it shut off. Has anyone else had any breakthroughs there?
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm

For using the disappearTile... have you made the invisible animation in your Player object (assigned to a "invisible" animation type, assigned to the Action Step 7), as explained in CutterCross tutorial?
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm
For using the disappearTile... have you made the invisible animation in your Player object (assigned to a "invisible" animation type, assigned to the Action Step 7), as explained in CutterCross tutorial?
Yes, I've done all of that. It works fine if there's no textbox being displayed, but if there's a textbox at all, it won't work.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Oh ok... is it the textbox that shows the player or is it any inputs pressing button.
Maybe you assigned a jump or attack or any action script to the pressing button, that makes the player move/changing state/...

Could you share a screenshot of your "Input Editor"?

Maybe you need to add some code of every player input scripts, to disable the code when the player is HIDDEN.
Something like :

;; checking the current state of the player:
    GetCurrentActionType player1_object
    CMP #$07	;; if in "invisible" state
    BNE +
    ;; skip the script:
    RTS
    +

;; from here the rest of the script:
-----
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Here it is...
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 pm

So yeah, you should add the block of code to all the movement and player melee and jump scripts. To disable the script when the player is invisible or check if the screen is a cutscene.
Or maybe you already have that kind of code in scripts?
-----
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:18 pm

The problem here isn't that the player can move, either... The problem is that she is visible.

Here's an idea I had though... How about if the cutscene tag is set on the screen, set the player's palette to a blank palette. Otherwise, just use the normal palette. How easy would that be