Non-HUD pal colors appearing in the HUD text

vufka

Trying to figure out if this is a known thing but didn't find much using forum search.

Basically, non-HUD colours are appearing in text characters in my HUD.

I have a game based on the Adventure module. For some reason, if the overworld tile is an odd number for X, my HUD starts including colours that aren't part of Sub 4. It is often the 4th colour in Sub 1 but sometimes the 4th colour in Sub 2 replacing the 4th colour in (the expected) Sub 4 on the HUD. So overworld coords 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, 6.6 are all fine. 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6 have the issue. 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6 are fine, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6 are messed up again, etc.

The position of the text characters that are messing up in the HUD is a 4x4 character grid at (Hud Element position) X=16 to 19, Y=1 to 4.

My HUD area is 16x2 at the top, I have tried messing with a lot of things including HUD values, sprite zero position, text box, etc. But yeah, my default white text keeps turning blue or red and it's weird. I spent a lot of the night trying to troubleshoot it. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just avoid using a 4x4 character grid in the HUD or try to exploit this mystery glitch for a colour-changing image or something.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Extra info - Sprite zero is wait time 1, 246x30 but I have tried other positions as well. I'm using 4.1.5 v 0x159. My HUD has corner tiles exactly like the tutorial.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah it's a known bug... even Joe explains how to "fix" it for your game (a workaround)...
On every screen of your game, paint the HUD area with the "R" key pressed. And do that also to the screen, just after your last game screen. (because the engine always loads the next screen at the same time than your current screen).

dale_coop

Staff member
Glad we fixed your issue ;)
Still some bugs in NESmaker, some of them have workaround, for some of them have real code fix... some remain ennoying bugs.
It's not always easy to find the answer on the forum :p

Top Bottom