Zapper+Super Mario Bros.?

Anthrax101

I was wondering if A: I could find a way to use the zapper gun in smb to shoot enemies?
B: If there was a mario bros .mst available (1,2, or 3)?
C: Can I do this on NESMaker?

Dirk

A: I don't think you can do this the easy way. Someone would have to change the program code to make that work.
When you shoot with the zapper gun the whole screen turns black except a white rectangle over the enemy. The gun measures if it's pointed at a black or white part of the screen of your TV and determines if the enemy got shot.
To make this work would require a somewhat elaborate ROM hack.
B: No. NES games are not compatible with NESmaker and I'm not aware of anyone recreating SMB and sharing his files.
The creators of NESmaker want you to use the tool to create new and original games and the community here is also focused on this.
C: at the moment NESmaker supports one-way scrolling, so you could make a game in the style of SMB 1. You can make two-way scrolling games, but it's not implemented at the moment, so parts of your levels will glitch when you backtrack.
4-way scrolling is another kind of beast and I don't know if it will ever be officially supported, but other users might make a new core and share it.
Mugi has managed to implement 4-way scrolling... with a lot of custom code and as far as I know it was coded mainly outside of NESmaker, so not a solution everybody could simply use. The interface is simply not layed out for this at the moment.
Someone might write plugins to make NESmaker useable with a 4-way scrolling core, but that is uncertain.

Long story short: you are highly encouraged to create your own games, with your own creative assets (or free assets you are allowed to use). Nobody minds if you are inspired by other games, everybody is, but please don't infringe on other's copyright.

I'm looking forward to playing your future demos, if you share them with us :)

Dirk

It's not supported at the moment and I doubt it ever will. The Zapper gun doesn't work on modern TVs (there are some ways to make it work, but hardware modifications are needed) so it's not a high priority for the developers.

Top Bottom