Everytime I load the emulator I get a black screen.

WealthyBones

Hello
So ive been following the NESmaker Tutorial on Youtube and on episode 5 he opens up the game in an emulator to show it being tested but when I load up the emulator all I get is a black screen.
Ive tired the default emulator, Mesen and fceux and all of the produce the same results, nothing but a black screen. Ive re watched the tutorial about twice now and I swear I am doing everything the same. I also tired deleting everything and starting fresh but still just a black screen.
Please help, Thank you...

dale_coop

Staff member
Do you have any error when you do "Export & Test" ?
(In the black command line window that appears, it should be written if any error and where is your error.)

Do you have set the "skip start screen" (In the project "Info" dialog)?

Don't hesitate to share screenshots of everything that could help us ;)

WealthyBones

When I hit export & test it just takes a second to load and then the emulator pops up with a black screen I dont seem to see a black command window.
Yeah, Ive tired doing it with skip start screen and without and still get the same result. I have attached some screenshots of what I see when I click export & test and my settings set to skip starting screen. They are in attachments.
Thank you

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-28 093407.png
    Annotation 2019-10-28 093407.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Skip start screen.png
    Skip start screen.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,133

dale_coop

Staff member
(Thanks for those pics, it helps)

Ok, strange...
how is your screen (the one when you placed your Player)?
how is your sprite zero settings (in "hud & boxes")?
how is your Player object? set to "player" and "persistent"?

Could you share screenshots?

WealthyBones

Of course. Thanks for trying to help me.
A few things....
I havent touched the HUD yet because the walk through on YouTube has gone over the HUD yet or he hasn't edited it at all.
I also forgot to change the bounding blocks on the character graphics. I am not sure if that would matter.

Attachments

• Screen Info.png
    Screen Info.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Player Details.png
    Player Details.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,123
  • OverWorldMap.png
    OverWorldMap.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,123
  • HUD.png
    HUD.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,123

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh, you didn't set your hud yet... your game should start, at least showing something, even without it set yet.
Everything looks correct, here.

How did you make your graphics (for your background tiles)? in the Pixel Editor? Or made them in an external image editor?

dale_coop

Staff member
hmmm... what module are you using?
Could you share a screenshots of your "Project Settings > Script Settings", too?

WealthyBones

You got it!
For my graphics i used some of the demo assets and the ones i made myself I used the built in pixel editor.

Attachments

• Pixel Editor.png
    Pixel Editor.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Where the graphics are stored.png
    Where the graphics are stored.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Script Settings.png
    Script Settings.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,106

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok, now I see the issue.
When you create your ""New Project" you forgot to select a module. By default "NONE" is selected.
So basically you have a module that does nothing, just an empty... made for developpers, to build their own module on it.

But it's not a big problem, you can still chose/change the module for your current project. So, what type of game you want to make? The "Maze" ? "Adventure" ?
I think Joe started with a "Base" module in the first video tutorial (if you are following the "Getting Started" series).

So, to change module for your project, open your project in NESmaker... then go to the "Project" menu and select "Import Project Module"... then goes to the "Modules" sub-folder... and select the module you want ("Base.MOD" for example, for the "Getting Started" tutorial videos). Click on OK, then OK.

Now, you can Export & Test again

WealthyBones

So I fixed the module and Im still getting the black screen. Tried redoing the tutorial and still got the black screen and I even tired it with MESEN.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-29 122106.png
    Annotation 2019-10-29 122106.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Base MOD.png
    Base MOD.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Emualtor.png
    Emualtor.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Emulator settings.png
    Emulator settings.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Import Graphics .png
    Import Graphics .png
    201 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Script Settings.png
    Script Settings.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,087

dale_coop

Staff member
In your Project settings, in the "Emulator" tab, your settings are incorrect.
the Working folder should be the folder when the game.nes is created:
Code:
C:\Users\Bruce\Documents\Desktop\NESmaker_4_1_5\GameEngineData
-> currently your MESEN launches no game.

WealthyBones

So I change the Emulator settings but still am getting the black screen however I think something might be wrong with my Game engine data file....
Im not sure what here are some images.
Thanks.

Attachments

• GameEngineData file.png
    GameEngineData file.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,300
  • NESMAKER FILE.png
    NESMAKER FILE.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,300
  • Where I Store My Projects.png
    Where I Store My Projects.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,300

dale_coop

Staff member
Your folders looks correct. See the GameEngineData folder... weird...
the date of the "game" file is OLD!?

dale_coop

Staff member
Are you sure you don't have an error when Export & Test?
Could you share a screenshot of the black command line windows that appears, when you click on "Export & Test"?

WealthyBones

When I hit export and test I dont get the black command window. My computer just loads a second and then the black screen emulator pops up. Is there a way I can get it to pop up?

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't know this is very strange... (check Joe's tutorial videos, to see the command line black window... how it should be :p)
You could try disabling your antivirus.... maybe.

WealthyBones

So I figured it out!
I looked up why my command prompt windows wasn't showing up and I found out from Microsoft support that somehow my command program was corrupt and needed repaired.
I ended up needing to make a new user on my computer and when I used it on the new user profile it worked.
Kinda a complicated solution but Im just happy its finally working.
Thanks for all the help

Dirk

Oh, wow. Glad you found the solution in the end and also shared it with us. Sounds like exactly something that would happen to me XD

Top Bottom