Label Already Defined error

skartyfungus

When I try to test the game it says like this:
pass 1..
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\HurtWinLoseDeath\ScrollingPlatformer\PlayerLoseLife.asm(9): Label already defined.
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\HurtWinLoseDeath\WarpToScreen.asm(37): Label already defined.
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\ellio\Desktop\NESmaker_4_1_5\GameEngineData>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

And on those lines are gameNotOver: and doneWithWarpToScreen:

I have no idea what to do!

crazygrouptrio

You just can't have more than 1 label using the same name anywhere in your project. "Already defined" meaning its already been setup somewhere else. First make sure the lines "gameNotOver:" and "doneWithWarpToScreen:" weren't accidentally copied within that script, or if you copied them into another script. If that isn't the case, in each script just change the name (i.e. gameNotOver2:) and any lines in that script that reference that label. (like there's probably a BNE gameNotOver at the top, so change that to BNE gameNotOver2 as well).

dale_coop

Staff member
Looks like you assigned those scripts more than once to your project... and you can't do that if the script contains labels.
in Project Settings > Scripts Settings... or maybe in your Scripts > Input Scripts ?

Jaboc1234

dale_coop said:
Looks like you assigned those scripts more than once to your project... and you can't do that if the script contains labels.
in Project Settings > Scripts Settings... or maybe in your Scripts > Input Scripts ?

I have encountered this error too. if I accidentally remove an input script then add it again it will sometimes say it's defined multiple times after removing it. it's a pain. any ideas on why this happens and how to fix it?

dale_coop

Staff member
All depends which error is said. Which script has been added/assigned more than once, ...
Could you share the exact error message?

Jaboc1234

dale_coop said:
All depends which error is said. Which script has been added/assigned more than once, ...
Could you share the exact error message?

Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\ActivateTextbox.asm(39): Label already defined.
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\ActivateTextbox.asm(61): Label already defined.

dale_coop

Staff member
Looks like you have already a script that does that in your project...
I'd suggest to removing that ActivateTextbox.asm script from your Scripts > Input Scripts (and from your "Input Editor")

Jaboc1234

dale_coop said:
Looks like you have already a script that does that in your project...
I'd suggest to removing that ActivateTextbox.asm script from your Scripts > Input Scripts (and from your "Input Editor")

I don't though. I've only ever added that script to the input scripts. If i remove the script, the text box activate doesn't happen.

Jaboc1234

I give up. each time I remove the activate text box script and add it to my input scripts, NESMaker says there are more instances of the script. So removing the script from your input scripts doesn't remove the script from your project? This is making me very upset. This application is supposed to make making games easy, all it has been is a huge head ache! :O(

dale_coop

Staff member
If you remove the script from the input script... it is not assigned. But like I said, maybe ANOTHER script, has the same code (for example the "b_create_melee.asm" script from the adventure module)...in that case, you don't NEED the activate text box.

Could you share screenshots?
- of your Scripts > Input Scripts list (on the left of the main NESmaker window)
- of your Input Editor (on the left of the main NESmaker window)

I can't seem to insert an image into a forum post I can only seem to paste an image pathtag but it doesn't display my image of that specified pathtag. How am I supposed to post an image in this forum?

dale_coop

Staff member
Click on the "Full Editor & Preview" button to acmes to the advanced editor. From there you will have an "Attachments" tab, where you can upload images or any files.

Top Bottom