Source Control

Hey all! My friend and I are trying to use source control to manage our project files between the two of us. I was wondering if anyone else was using source control, and what you are using to manage things. The game graphics, and scripts are easy to manage, but the .mst files don't seem to be able to be merged easily so thats going to be a big issue in terms of sharing game construction.

What have you all done to share your project between you and other people?

mouse spirit

There are ways to export the map, a monster , a graphics file. Focus at the top of the nesmaker ui and click a game object, or go to the over world map.
At the top there will sometimes be options to export or import, stuff like that may help you.
If you are talking about code, simply trade asm files.
(Sounds like you understand that, also easy for graphics)

Ahh, there we go! Tis a bit clunky but we can totally work around that limitation.

Yeah we got the code and art assets just fine, both of us are seasoned game devs just looking for something fun to do in the spare time haha. I just couldn't see how to get that data outta the MST files, I didn't notice the export and import options on individual sections, thanks a bunch!

mouse spirit

No problem at all. Source control sounds good but i have no experience with it. Also yeah im not clear on mst files myself.
Maybe limit some things until you colab.Like making monsters is fine as you can easily exoort import, but monster groups you cant. Which means no placing new monsters in a screen until you both have the correct monsters as it may conflict. So workarounds can help out for now and i am sorry i cant help further.
To be sure i am a vague helper and a workarounder.

Source control is amazing, even if you are working alone. You make changes, and then you check those changes into a server, which in turn gives you a history to go back through if you ever need to. It also ensures that if anything happens to your current PC, your project doesn't just disappear, and if you want to or need to share the project with someone else its super simple to get them hooked up to your repository and download your project.

I highly recommend looking into it, we use Plastic SCM with a Cloud server for all of our side project stuff. Costs a bit, but we also make games in Unreal and Unity so we kinda need the space. With NES games you could probably get away with just using a bitbucket account since the file sizes are so small.

Thanks again for the help though, this export/import setup will work fine I think.

marp

We are using source control, and it is great when you, as often happens, made some strange change somewhere in the asm code. But we only source control the script folders, as you said, that part is easy to source control. Would really like to include mst files and bitmaps, using GitHub. This gets me inspired to try it.

Top Bottom