Wave-based enemies

SuperNatetendo

Not quite asking for exact code, but for this byte-off I want to try to make a wave based game where enemies spawn until a pre-determined amount are destroyed and/or the timer runs down. Some examples of this in games would be Curses & Chaos or Wild Guns.

I'm trying to think of what path to take code wise for this as well as keeping in consideration the limits of # of objects on-screen.

mouse spirit

Yeah id say limit the baddies on screen ,but then in the monsters deathcode, decrease a varible named(whatever) when one dies.

That variable could be set at the start of a stage.
Set it to like 36...kill 36 baddies.
When variable reaches 0, you win the level.

And do the same for a "timer". The reason its in quotes is
because my idea isnt actually a timer.
Make another variable, but when a monster spawns, increase this variable. Say when variable reaches 37,
Level ends.(make the 37th sapwned monster invisible so he comes out after the last guy or something and ticks the timer to 37)

But that would only be good if say the monsters disappeared otherwise. Like a carnival game.
36 ducks, one chance to hit each type-o-thang.

SuperNatetendo

Yeah. I figured I'd do something like that, my biggest concern is how I'd go about getting varied enemy placements/spawning. i.e. killed first row of baddies, now the next wave comes.

mouse spirit

If edge spawn is implemented, go for that. Constrict how many monsters are allowed on screen via variable.
If you mean, one screen, many waves of different enemies.Maybe switch screens after so many .
Im sorry if i dont understand right. Is there a comparison to what you want?
what about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOwp16J924&t=329s
Let me know if this helps.

If not,create a radomnumber variable for x and y placement possibly.

Top Bottom