4.5.6 Help With Screen Seam Related Bugs

Craigery

I am having 3 bugs that all relate to the seam between screens, but I don't think they are all related to eachother.

1. When using a modified WaitForXproximity.asm from the Brawler module the monster doesn't recognize the player over the screen seam, but will once the seam is crossed.
uc

2. I have some screens that I have Left and Right scroll disabled so it stays on a single screen, however if I Warp in on the left half of the screen and move right halfway past the screen it loads some garbage. I tried making some some buffer screens to the left and right that have the same palettes and tileset, but it does this every time?
uc

3. When scrolling the screen will momentarily stop scrolling, then continue to scroll when I am hitting a seam. Meanwhile my player gets a little closer and closer to the Right side.
[Solved] I uncommented pretty much all the code in my doHandleCamera_LandR.asm
uc

4. My screens will ignore the Right Edge Screen Flag. I know it is something in my doUpdateCamera_L2R asm, but I am still taking a look at this.
uc

If anyone has any insight to these that would be great! Thanks

dale_coop

Staff member
I'd suggest to share that with Joe Granato on the Facebook group, it would be so helpful if he'd fix that issue for the next update!

TakuikaNinja

For issue 4: Try using the metroidvania camera script. It's much better than the L2R one you're using.
On top of that, you might be able to fix issue 2 by following the instructions in this post.
As for issue 1: Anything involving tracking positions at the seam between screens is a notable issue in the scrolling modules right now.
I'm currently having issues with tile collision not working correctly at these seams, so we're in the same boat here.
I'll probably let Joe know about the screen seam problems so he's at least aware of it.

Craigery

How did you go about solving this issue?
I was messing with doHandleCamera_LandR.asm too much and wasn't fully comprehending how I was enabling Left scrolling was being enabled.

btw if you want i can redo the music, have no idea why this is happening
I did see your message, but ByteOff burned me out. My batteries are about recharged and I am going to dive back in soon and release a Post-ByteOff edition. Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on that.

Logana

Alright, now that I have a demo I can sorta get an idea for music, although I think I will leave the title screen theme the same but remixed

vanderblade

I was messing with doHandleCamera_LandR.asm too much and wasn't fully comprehending how I was enabling Left scrolling was being enabled.

I did see your message, but ByteOff burned me out. My batteries are about recharged and I am going to dive back in soon and release a Post-ByteOff edition. Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on that.
Some of us using the brawler mod, which uses the plaftformer dohandlecameraLR script, are still having issues where the "seam" appears after warping into a new screen and scrolling right. Outside of changing a few instances of JMP +noHorizontalCameraUpdate to RTS instead, which helps with the leftside garbage, I'm still getting the issue with the seam. So, if you figured out how to eliminate it, it would be awesome to hear about. Cheers.

Jonny

Seams fine to me.

Couldn't resist sorry. I'm getting the same issues @TakuikaNinja with collisions whereby the left of some screens ends up messing up the right side. Curiously, if you look at some old NES platformer maps, they tend to avoid these situations in the level design, unless its purely coincidental? I don't think there's any shame in minor adjustments to compensate for these anomolies. That's my justification anyway :)

vanderblade

Yeah, I was likely overthinking it. I just followed TakuikaNinja's advice from the linked post above and changed the instance of JMP noHorizontalCameraUpdate around line 65 to RTS and then changed all my initial screens after warping so they don't have right edge lock. Together, this eliminated the garbage appearing, I think. I have to do more testing with what happens with players die, since depending on where they respawn, the issue might come up again. Still not a real "solution," but it's a nice band aid.

Top Bottom