Code editing while in NESMaker?

Nishi

This has been bugging me for sometime. But when working on my game http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6203 I'm getting tired of saving what I'm doing exporting then going looking at the asm files so I can go edit what I need to in the code, then compile and run the game to test it out.

Is there a code window in NESMaker so I can edit my game as I'm working on it? Yes I understand that the software is meant to be GUI, but being able to edit code at the same time, as I work with the map would just save me so much time.

SlimeCounty

Just open the scripts you want to edit in Notepad++ while working on whatever you want. Obviously save the scripts before you compile the game.

Jonny

There isn't a way to edit the entire code of your game as such but, as above, keeping Notepad++ open (maybe even on a 2nd monitor?) with the various scripts you're working on is about the best you can do. I know this isn't what you're asking really. There are various reasons why NesMaker compiles and the entire code and it can't be edited on the fly.

Nishi

Jonny said:
There isn't a way to edit the entire code of your game as such but, as above, keeping Notepad++ open (maybe even on a 2nd monitor?) with the various scripts you're working on is about the best you can do. I know this isn't what you're asking really. There are various reasons why NesMaker compiles and the entire code and it can't be edited on the fly.

Yea... Learning the hard way that NESMaker is restricted as heck.

I have two monitors going, but when it comes to editing code it's a pain since I need to have more then one warp point in a given map section, never mind that the "Over World Map" is literally reserved to be the over world map for my game. The "Under World Map" is towns and buildings so far. Free space will be used for any kind of cut scenes.

Map 3 has the first dungeon map on it. So editing its warping points manually sucks.

Top Bottom