Better placing monsters taller than 16pixels

dale_coop

Staff member
Something that is always quite difficult in NESMaker is placing monsters that are taller than 16pixels... (and maybe the same problem with 8pixels monsters)

When 16pixels, no problem, you do a right "Place Monster 1", your monster is placed where you clicked... AND when you test, the monster is at the correct position.
When taller than 16pixels, you do a right "Place Monster 1" your monster is placed where you clicked... BUT when you test, the monster is not at the correct position, he is 8pixels at a lower position.
So In order to have the correct result, you have to put your monster 8 pixels (1 block) higher than expected :

2018-12-31-14-44-13-NES-MAKER-4-0-440-Version-0x158-Game1-MST.png

My guess is the NM game engine uses the placing position as the TOP of the monster. But the NM user interface tool uses it as its BOTTOM.

Would be great if this could be fixed (in the the tool or the engine) in the next version.

Mugi

i did notice this too, but my monsters are 16x16 pixels and i just thought that blob monsters falling from the roof was funny.
i can see the issue with taller monsters though, as a test, i did attempt to place my player to the floor (24x24 pixel sprite) and it spawned being stuck on the floor.

Perhaps it'd be better to place a monster on the screen if the tile you placed it on placed its feet? Dropping in from its head is a bit unintuitive.

Mugi

i think the biggest problem this causes is the palcement of objects like my player, which is 3x3 tiles (24x24pixels)
since you can only place objects on a 16x16 grid in nesmaker UI, the consequent effect is that my char is either always in the air or stuck to the floor as it's placed from it's head.

since the UI already has the option to flip assets on placement (hold down ctrl/shift when placing tiles) i suppose that could be applied to objects too in order to allow them to be more comfortably placed.

Top Bottom