The Legend Of Chair

Bucket Mouse

It is with heavy regret that I feel I have to close the book on my beta NES Maker project, The Legend Of Chair, due to too darn many glitches getting in the way. From scrambled enemies to invisible enemies to who knows what else, if a glitch existed, I happened to run into it, making development run at a glacial pace. And with Memorial Day fast approaching, it would appear my time is up.

You couldn't do very much with the earliest version of the beta. Text wasn't set up, events weren't set up, only a very limited number of graphics banks were allowed and you couldn't even fire projectiles yet. You might as well be controlling a chair, I thought. So....

chair1.jpg

Your goal was to push a swivel chair through a series of caves and avoid the obstacles in each room. I turned the "slippery" controls way up, since it was a chair, and it seemed to work gameplay-wise. Too bad you'll never know what it feels like to glide a chair across a cave floor and have it explode when it touches a fish.

The hard workers who make up 8BitHeroes have stated repeatedly not to get attached to anything you make with the beta because it won't be compatible with future versions (like, I'm assuming, Beta #2). The only way to save Legend of Chair would be to completely remake it in Beta #2 and I've already had to do that once, so forget it.

If anything, it was good practice. Though I never got to make the final boss because the boss graphic is on the Monster_01 bank, which currently doesn't work.

Attachments

• chair2.jpg
    chair2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,116
  • chair3.jpg
    chair3.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 3,116

Craigery

Yeah, if anything that booklet is amazing. The concept is crazy enough to work. Shame about the beta compatibility.

Mihoshi20

Game looks fun so far and loving that instruction manual, especially the screenshot with those CRT edge curves.

Top Bottom