Any good Famitracker music templates?

DanielT1985

My famitracker file I used for my game doesn't sound right in 4.1.0, and I think I need to restart all of the music again. Is there any good template files people have made to get started, or do I need to go completely from scratch and see what does or does not sound good?

CutterCross

What do you mean by "Doesn't sound right"? Are you talking about the preview interface in the tool? Or is it in the exported ROM itself?

DanielT1985

CutterCross said:
What do you mean by "Doesn't sound right"? Are you talking about the preview interface in the tool? Or is it in the exported ROM itself?
The exported ROM itself. Here's a video of what I'm talking about. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rsnBG2UQ7L8O4BnJPhZjLnuwSCv_9hSK/view

DanielT1985

CutterCross said:

Nevermind! It turns out the built in Music/Sound player that NESMaker has when you're playing the exported ROM is TERRIBLE. I opened up the ROM itself with FCEUX, and the audio played fine. My mistake.

CutterCross

DanielT1985 said:
Nevermind! It turns out the built in Music/Sound player that NESMaker has when you're playing the exported ROM is TERRIBLE. I opened up the ROM itself with FCEUX, and the audio played fine. My mistake.

That's exactly what I was asking. NESmaker's music preview interface doesn't observe pitch envelopes and the sort, so it's not accurate to what the actual ROM will play.

DChilders84

I was actually curious, Cutter, after watching Joe's latest Youtube video that featured one of your songs, do you have to make separate instruments to get vibrato, slide, delay, etc effects? I remember during the Kickstarter that Joe said that NES Maker would be limited because of the encoder they are going to use for the sound (which I found a bit disheartening, but c'est la vie). I haven't messed around in Famitracker in a while, but creating instruments was something I really needed to practice more.

CutterCross

DChilders84 said:
I was actually curious, Cutter, after watching Joe's latest Youtube video that featured one of your songs, do you have to make separate instruments to get vibrato, slide, delay, etc effects? I remember during the Kickstarter that Joe said that NES Maker would be limited because of the encoder they are going to use for the sound (which I found a bit disheartening, but c'est la vie). I haven't messed around in Famitracker in a while, but creating instruments was something I really needed to practice more.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what you have to do to get those effects in NESmaker. Although, the song in Joe's showcase video wasn't really NESmaker compatible (though I COULD rewrite it to be so if I desired). He just asked if he could use one of the songs on my SoundCloud and he chose that particular one. (And honestly, it's not one of my best. It's a pretty old song. My newer songs are a lot better imo.)

DChilders84

I'm holding out to really dig in to NES Maker until the application is complete with all the stuff from the Kickstarter. I'm really curious how they're going to make a DAW. Excited to see it all come together. Hopefully Joe figures out how to get effects working when he makes the music creation module.

DChilders84 said:
I'm holding out to really dig in to NES Maker until the application is complete with all the stuff from the Kickstarter. I'm really curious how they're going to make a DAW. Excited to see it all come together. Hopefully Joe figures out how to get effects working when he makes the music creation module.

I don't personally think effects will be a NM feature out of the box.
The best we can probably hope is that someone figures out how to increase the music capabilities.

CutterCross

DChilders84 said:
Redherring32 said:
I don't personally think effects will be a NM feature out of the box.
The best we can probably hope is that someone figures out how to increase the music capabilities.

NESmaker's music creation tool will probably be much less advanced than importing from Famitracker, since the whole point of it is to make music creation more accesible. And to do that, you'd have to sacrifice some functionality.

As for effects, as long as NESmaker uses GGsound for its sound engine, effects will not be supported (aside from Bxx). It's not an issue of the CONNECTION between NESmaker and GGsound, it's a limitation of GGsound itself. And honestly, effects are just convienences for the composer. Pitch-bends, vibrato, note-slides, duty cycle modulation, volume fades/swells, arpeggios... those can ALL be done without effects.

I'll use my OST for The Tower of Turmoil as a prime example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh0T5F2UoKburRcvO8T-X8w3mXPaNOCrH

ALL of this was done without the need for effects. You just have to be clever with your compositions.

DChilders84

I know they CAN be done, but the time investment required to make the music great doing it by making individual instruments for each type of effect you want, and then having to make them for every instrument and transitions, etc is bad workflow. Oh well, if my project becomes important enough, I'll put forth the effort. Definitely still waiting until the software is finished. Lots of bugs and stuff I see still posted on this forum. Also curious to see what scripts people will write so that I don't have to do that later either XD

Top Bottom