Parallel Worlds

CutterCross

I made some new assets for the overworld in a separate bank and made a small test screen (won't be an actual screen in game).
ZaV79K1.png

Used 3 paths for the tree tops/bushes, dirt paths, and river. Still haven't used up all the slots in the new bank yet!

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
I made some new assets for the overworld in a separate bank and made a small test screen (won't be an actual screen in game).
ZaV79K1.png

Used 3 paths for the tree tops/bushes, dirt paths, and river. Still haven't used up all the slots in the new bank yet!

I like that a lot. Especially all the half tones and textures on everything. Makes me think of the Kirby games for some reason. Probably the really vibrant but well chosen colors. It's not easy to make the NES' limited Palette meld well together but you knocked it out of the park with this one.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
I like that a lot. Especially all the half tones and textures on everything. Makes me think of the Kirby games for some reason. Probably the really vibrant but well chosen colors. It's not easy to make the NES' limited Palette meld well together but you knocked it out of the park with this one.
Thanks a lot! It's all the magic of dithering!

I'll have to fill in the rest of the tileset, and I'll also probably change some of the graphics a bit, like the tree tops/bushes, they look a bit too flat and boring.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
Thanks a lot! It's all the magic of dithering!

I'll have to fill in the rest of the tileset, and I'll also probably change some of the graphics a bit, like the tree tops/bushes, they look a bit too flat and boring.

Ah the fine art of the Work in progress. Tinkering, fine tuning, evolving, until you have the shining example of release candidate... and miles of messy code to weed out and polish up. LOL.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Ah the fine art of the Work in progress. Tinkering, fine tuning, evolving, until you have the shining example of release candidate... and miles of messy code to weed out and polish up. LOL.
Oh yeah XD But since I don't have access to the betas it's all in the pre-production phase now (AKA the fun part XD). Just experimenting and toying with ideas before you can actually implement them. NESst helps with limiting graphics to NES specifications, but the rest is mainly guesswork until I can actually use NESmaker.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
Oh yeah XD But since I don't have access to the betas it's all in the pre-production phase now (AKA the fun part XD). Just experimenting and toying with ideas before you can actually implement them. NESst helps with limiting graphics to NES specifications, but the rest is mainly guesswork until I can actually use NESmaker.

Eh, it never hurts to start planning out early, shaping the story and toying with ideas in pre-production phase. Hopefully you also saw my chart on how NESmaker lays out the graphics and watched the tutorials. It'll give you ideas as to how everything will weave together graphically and functionally before you do get the chance to dive in. You can find the chart here :arrow: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=163&p=934#p934

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Eh, it never hurts to start planning out early, shaping the story and toying with ideas in pre-production phase. Hopefully you also saw my chart on how NESmaker lays out the graphics and watched the tutorials. It'll give you ideas as to how everything will weave together graphically and functionally before you do get the chance to dive in. You can find the chart here :arrow: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=163&p=934#p934
I have seen your chart before and it certainly helped a lot! I understand how the graphics in each bank are stored, it's just figuring out what's the best way to optimize it. I've already figured out how all my sprite data is going to be stored.
QIu99Ua.png
C44cLJE.png

Since we're limited to only 2 pallets for game objects and only 2 pallets for monster objects, I've reserved the top 2 pallets for the game objects section and bottom 2 pallets for the monster objects section. Since there are going to be no actual "monsters" in the overworld, the entire sprite bank can be filled with NPCs (besides the player). All game objects are really just permenantly loaded sprites, and all monster objects are just interchangable sprites, and since there are going to be no actual "monsters" spawning in the overworld, I can just keep the monster objects section the same the whole time! I also have plenty of room in the monster objects bank for other sprites.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
I have seen your chart before and it certainly helped a lot! I understand how the graphics in each bank are stored, it's just figuring out what's the best way to optimize it. I've already figured out how all my sprite data is going to be stored.
QIu99Ua.png
C44cLJE.png

Since we're limited to only 2 pallets for game objects and only 2 pallets for monster objects, I've reserved the top 2 pallets for the game objects section and bottom 2 pallets for the monster objects section. Since there are going to be no actual "monsters" in the overworld, the entire sprite bank can be filled with NPCs (besides the player). All game objects are really just permenantly loaded sprites, and all monster objects are just interchangable sprites, and since there are going to be no actual "monsters" spawning in the overworld, I can just keep the monster objects section the same the whole time! I also have plenty of room in the monster objects bank for other sprites.

Cool cool, seems you've been doing some nice pre-planning indeed.

CutterCross

Yet more art assets! Just thought I'd make another test screen showing off some assets I didn't before.
M4zouog.png
EX1VyN7.png

The black spaces are for sprites to overlay them, like doors and a toilet. There's also some more objects that will be used as sprites.
1O3iWD2.png

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Yet more art assets! Just thought I'd make another test screen showing off some assets I didn't before.
M4zouog.png
EX1VyN7.png

The black spaces are for sprites to overlay them, like doors and a toilet. There's also some more objects that will be used as sprites.
1O3iWD2.png

Looking good! I especially love the sinks in the bathroom and the mirror with reflection.

JakeSpencer

Low-key, I would LOVE it if that last set of sprites was the hero and one of those other sets of sprites were the villain. ;)

CutterCross

JakeSpencer said:
Low-key, I would LOVE it if that last set of sprites was the hero and one of those other sets of sprites were the villain. ;)
That'd be something! But I've already planned out all the characters and I'm keeping the villain a secret for right now. End game spoilers you see.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Looking good! I especially love the sinks in the bathroom and the mirror with reflection.
The mirror's actually my favorite part of the whole tileset! Sadly I didn't have enough graphic space to put the door in the reflection. Maybe I can use a sprite over it? I dunno, it's not really an important feature. XD

Mihoshi20

JakeSpencer said:

LOL. I now suddenly got an idea for an RPG where you plays as a treasure chest breaking into peoples houses and scarfing up loot. Sorta Bonanza Bros meets Final Fantasy. Or maybe like Recettear where you loot dungeons for items then sell them back to villagers only the antagonist chest is always one step ahead scarfing up the good loot before you get there.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
The mirror's actually my favorite part of the whole tileset! Sadly I didn't have enough graphic space to put the door in the reflection. Maybe I can use a sprite over it? I dunno, it's not really an important feature. XD

Yeah, a small sprite might actually work to fill in the gap, or can find some way to work around it to squeeze in that detail.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
LOL. I now suddenly got an idea for an RPG where you plays as a treasure chest breaking into peoples houses and scarfing up loot. Sorta Bonanza Bros meets Final Fantasy. Or maybe like Recettear where you loot dungeons for loot then fell them back to villagers on the antagonist chest is always one step ahead scarfing up the good loot before you get there.
That... is an AWESOME idea and I wish I'd thought of that!

Top Bottom