Scrolling platformer vs path tiles and HUD that doenn't start at row 0

LordFred

Hi All!

Always talking in terms of scroll platform module.

Any of you have been issues with scrolling and path tiles? ... I have my floor tiles created with that kind of tiles, and when the game scrolls, it seems like the program is not capable of painting the correct way those path tiles .. And the problems always occurs in 1 and a half screen ... it is when the game has painted 24 tiles ... And it seems like the game construct correctly the path tiles when they are at the edge of the screen... very curious...

And another issue I had is with a HUD that not begins in row 0... If you have a HUD for example with 2 rows, but starts in row 1, the game doesn't work propoertly. I notice that there are several constants that defines the HUD, so I had to change some files:

1. script HandleScroll. Line 200. You have to add the line

SBC #BOX_0_ORIGIN_Y

2. Into macro InitializeColumnWrite. Line 4. Add

CLC
ADC #BOX_0_ORIGIN_Y

3. Into HandleUpdateObjects. Line 950. Add

CLC
ADC #BOX_0_ORIGIN_Y

I hope to have explained correctly and those lines helps with our new friend "the HUD"... ^^

Thanks!!

dale_coop

Staff member
Awesome, thank you LordFred, I didn’t noticed the HUD problem (my is always a boring 2 rows top HUD :p)

For the paths I have the same issue... didn’t have time to digg in that problem >_<
(And another problem is the tiles, in my HUD area... means the ones that are « under » My HUD (so I don’t see them except if I hide the hud via the user constant) seem to have have the left half filled with tiles from the next screen. Again, didn't find the time to digg in the code for that).

LordFred

Ok dale_coop, perfect!, I will wait for you when you have time to digg... in the meantime, I will investigate more about the problem with path tiles... If I find the problem I will write here the code to solve it.

LordFred

Hi all!,

I only want to ask if someone has been time to solve the problem with path tiles against scrolling... Althought I think that Joe said in some post that it maybe require redoing some parts of the code... I think this issue would be necesary to solve... I'm not capable of analize the necesary to solve it...

Thanks!!

dale_coop

Staff member
Joe reply to that question in a FB post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmakers/permalink/822516311436029/
Joe Granato:
"Paths always look for ‘what is around them’ when they load. But scrollers load things procedurally...the next column isn’t loaded yet. Thus the problem."
"The way to do it is actually in the path loading code. It’s something I should be able to patch for most instances, though screen edges will likely be funky. But...also, might cause slow down quicker."

LordFred

We have to wait until a a patch is released!!... I think in the meantime the solution would be using normal tiles instead of path tiles... thanks dale!!

Top Bottom