Melee issues

Hey all,

Been trying to work my way through the adventure tutorial and I'm having some major issues getting melee working. I have my b_creates_melee script mapped to my inputs, and a_creates_projectile. I can only get the a button presses to make my melee sprite appear, and the b button presses make some other sprite appear, a part of my player's head. I suspect it may be this way because in the tutorial video, he imports melee_H to the projectile source, which is why the sprite would appear when I press a and not b, but if that was truly the issue I think I would be able to see the sprite in the other direction when I pressed the b button. Its also worth noting that when the sprite appears when I press a, that it will only display up or down and not left or right, no matter which way my character is facing.

Is importing the horizontal melee in to the projectile source not the way to do it now? I've made sure that all the object details and animations are the same as in the video, but still no luck. Any ideas where things might be going wrong for me? I appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.

dale_coop

Staff member
We need more informations...
Which tutorial are you following? (the 4.0 one or the 4.1 one?)
Which version are you using? (the 4.0 one or the 4.1 one?)
Have you made any modification in the script?

dale_coop

Staff member
NOT: for the positions of the object (weapon/projectile) created, you need to set the offset (by selecting the "Object Games" element in the hierarchy and set the X and Y for all the facing directions, for both of the objects.

Thanks for the reply.
I have set the offsets, and have been following the 4.0 tutorial, and using 4.1. I haven't made any modifications to the scripts either. I tried watching through the 4.1 tutorial this morning after seeing your post, but it hasn't helped me clear up my confusion. In the 4.1 video he doesn't seem to set his sword as his weapon at all, only his magic, and then the sword works.

Somehow or another, in the game objects screen where you set the offsets, the sprite that it has labeled "Melee" is my projectile. And the sprite that is labeled "Projectile", I cant seem to use. So still when I press the melee button, my character pulls up some sprite of his head. And when I press the projectile button, it shoots out what the melee sprite should be.

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh, in fact you can't follow the 4.0 tutorial and USE the 4.1... because a LOT of things from the 4.0 are no more in the 4.1 (or working completely differently, needs to be set differently, ...)
If you want to follow the 4.0 tutorial, you should install and use the 4.0.
Then when you will follow the 4.1 tutorial, you should use the 4.1.

Do you know where I can find the download for the 4.0? Yeah, I've noticed a lot of version differences between the two. But the 4.0 tutorial seemed to have a lot more information because it was so much longer, and covered a lot more stuff in depth, so I was just trying to work between them and piece together what I could.

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh, I didn't realize there was not the old versions anymore on the website... (and I don't have the 4.0.6) :(

Is someone still having the zip file of the 4.0.6?

dale_coop said:
Oh, I didn't realize there was not the old versions anymore on the website... (and I don't have the 4.0.6) :(

Is someone still having the zip file of the 4.0.6?

I do, I'll get it to you guys tonight.

J Sanz

theDarkLordSagan said:
Hey all,

Been trying to work my way through the adventure tutorial and I'm having some major issues getting melee working. I have my b_creates_melee script mapped to my inputs, and a_creates_projectile. I can only get the a button presses to make my melee sprite appear, and the b button presses make some other sprite appear, a part of my player's head. I suspect it may be this way because in the tutorial video, he imports melee_H to the projectile source, which is why the sprite would appear when I press a and not b, but if that was truly the issue I think I would be able to see the sprite in the other direction when I pressed the b button. Its also worth noting that when the sprite appears when I press a, that it will only display up or down and not left or right, no matter which way my character is facing.

Is importing the horizontal melee in to the projectile source not the way to do it now? I've made sure that all the object details and animations are the same as in the video, but still no luck. Any ideas where things might be going wrong for me? I appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.

Hey guys, im having this same problem..

SORRY MY ENGLISH ITS NOT THAT GOOD, BUT ILL TRY..

just to make myself clear..

im working with nesmaker 4.1.0
im following nesmaker 4.1.0 adventure tutorial (the one thats 20mins long)
and i've been watching the getting started tutorials for nesmaker 4.1.0
but i noticed that in these videos (the getting started) Joe never really says how to work with the melee,
but in the adventure tutorial he does.. and thats the one i've been following..
anyway..

everything was ok until i created my melee and proceeded to test it

so when a press B i use my melee, but the melee stays active. meaning that i can walk without even pressing B anymore and my player can kill monsters in any direction (up, down, right or left), even killing them doesnt take my melee away,
i noticed that if I get hurt, my melee gets deactivated, but when i press B again same thing happens.
other thing... my melee doesnt appear in the game like i created it.. if its right or left it doesnt appear at all.. but i know its there cause like i said, i can kill monster facing those dirrections
now when i face up or down i can see something but its not what i created.. actually is a graphic of my player death (that its placed in my object number 8), like Joe shows in the video
he actually uses.. 0 player, 1 melee, 8 player death, 9 monster death. so i have right now my player, melee and player death in the same numbers..

anyway i tried to follow another adventure tutorial video (the one thats 3hrs long)
but it only made it worst.. my player wont even move when i activate melee.. but the same thing happens.. my graphic doesnt show left o right.. but up and down shows a graphic from my player death..
reading this topic i figured out that i shouldnt follow that video cuz its for nesmaker 4.0.. and it makes sense cause it only made it worst..
i dont want 4.0.. i wanna stay with 4.1.0.. so thats why im asking for help

To make it clear.. i dnt use the NPC to give my melee like the video shows.. i simple activate my weapon in project/info weapon 1 (i dnt know if thats the problem, i havent test it, but i think thats not the problem)
i got my input b-create-melee in place and everything.. even the offset part!

NOWWW

when i uses the magic pressing A.. theres something wrong as well.. my graphic shows in the game, but when i use it, i can use it just one time.. i have to get hurt by a monster in order to use it again..
this weapon i active it like the meleee ... prokect/info weapon 2

PD: i noticed that Joe only import in the melee one thing.. something that looks like a fireball.. the magic!
but when he presses B a sword appears and when he presses A the magic one appears.. he never even creates a sword..
i dnt know how thats works its so confusing..

ANYWAY... PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ILL APPRECIATED!!!!
thank u guys

Joe and the whole NesMaker crew should be running the country :D :D :D :D ;)

dale_coop

Staff member
Hi J Sanz,

If you're a beginner, you can't use the 4.1 and follow a 4.0 tutorial. It will just bring you issues.
First follow all the tutorial 4.1 Exactly as said. You will learn how to make those games. Then, you can try your own experiments.

- In the 4.1, the weapon is not a game object (it was not the case in the 4.0), it's "just" a designated tile from your tileset that will be drawn next to your player, when he is in "Attacking" state.
If you have followed the 4.1 tutorial and want to change your weapon, just modify your gameobjecttileset. (you will find the sword drawn fro horizontally and vertically positions). If you want to use another tile (index) you need to change the SPR_WEAPON user constant (in "Project Settings > Script Settings").

If you want to use a game object like in the 4.0, it's quite complicated, and still not perfect (personally I still have issues with it), you could follow this post: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1777
But you have to be comfortable with modifying code.

- For your issue of staying in attacking state, in the 4.1 (tile/sprite-based weapon) Check your player's Action Step 03 (in his "object details") you have to set the End of Action to "GoToFirst" (or "Loose Invicibility" for a platformer) and set the timer value to "1".

J Sanz

dale_coop said:
Hi J Sanz,

If you're a beginner, you can't use the 4.1 and follow a 4.0 tutorial. It will just bring you issues.
First follow all the tutorial 4.1 Exactly as said. You will learn how to make those games. Then, you can try your own experiments.

- In the 4.1, the weapon is not a game object (it was not the case in the 4.0), it's "just" a designated tile from your tileset that will be drawn next to your player, when he is in "Attacking" state.
If you have followed the 4.1 tutorial and want to change your weapon, just modify your gameobjecttileset. (you will find the sword drawn fro horizontally and vertically positions). If you want to use another tile (index) you need to change the SPR_WEAPON user constant (in "Project Settings > Script Settings").

If you want to use a game object like in the 4.0, it's quite complicated, and still not perfect (personally I still have issues with it), you could follow this post: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1777

- For your issue of staying in attacking state, in the 4.1 (tile/sprite-based weapon) Check your player's Action Step 03 (in his "object details") you have to set the End of Action to "GoToFirst" (or "Loose Invicibility" for a platformer) and set the timer value to "1".

thank u ale_coop :!:

ill try all of that.. hopefully ill make it work

J Sanz

dale_coop said:
Hi J Sanz,

dale_coop bro thank u so much u really saved the day...
i did some steps that u suggested me and voila i got what i want ;)
now its time to work on my beta version of my first game!
i'm so excited :geek:

Top Bottom