A Farfetched Farfetch'd Adventure

TigressErica

The first project I am working on is a Pokemon fan game. It's all just a fan game that I won't be selling so I don't expect legality issues. I'm going to (as best as I can) recreate the original Pokemon Red and Blue game map-wise.

Instead of playing as Red (the human character)... you play as a pokemon. I've chosen Farfetch'd as the pokemon the player plays as for a few reasons... I wanted to use a pokemon that 1. Could fly 2. Could swim, and 3. had a weapon to visibly use instead of JUST a pokemon attack. Farfetch'd meets all of those and uses the leek (basically an onion) that he carries as his weapon which I will have him use like a sword.

Farfetch'd will be one of Professor Oak's pokemon that willfully escaped his ball. When he walks up to Professor Oak, Oak will probably say something like "Ahh my dear Farfetch'd... you've gotten out of your ball... well go have fun" and/or Oak may give Farfetch'd his ultimate goal for the game. In the original games, Oak gave the main characters his new invention, the Pokedex and sent them off to catch pokemon in order to add data to the device. I may decide to have Oak give Farfetch'd a fictional invention of his which would be a translator so that Farfetch'd can communicate with shop-keepers in order to buy items. I don't actually think I want Farfetch'd being able to speak with humans though because I want the random NPC trainers to say random things that may say to/about the Farfetch'd that seems to be on a mission.

Instead of entering a new screen to battle pokemon, all battling will be done on the main screen much like The Legend Of Zelda for NES.

Farfetch'd will be able to enter gyms and such... but he won't battle the leaders. They will just be NPCs that speak to him. Misty, for instance, will probably gush about what a cute little Farfetch'd he is. I may have the leaders bestow items to him, probably having something to do with the type of pokemon they specialize in.

I don't know for sure what Farfetch'd's ultimate game goal will be... if anybody has any ideas for the ultimate goal and smaller goals, please let me know. I am thinking of having minor goals be things like feeding nanab berries to the Snorlax that winds up being in Red's way through the original games. Nanab berries basically sedate pokemon. I can't think of any other behind-the-scenes mini quests for Farfetch'd though.

I'm not sure I'll be able to cram all the sprites into this game that were in the original Pokemon games... but I'm just doing this for fun as an experiment until I come up with an original idea for a game to work on.

EDIT: PLEASE leave a comment, even if it's just "hey, that sounds cool" or "I might play that!"... the way my mind works is... this might VERY possibly wind up being one of a million unfinished projects and ideas I've started. Comments or feedback of any kind will encourage me to stick with this.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey, of course, that sounds cool!
Then, be careful about the IP... try to not use the real names of too close look. Keep it inspired by... ;)
But yeah I am very curious and want to see the first images of your project :)

Jewbacca

But what if there is a battle component and when you defeat a gym leader by using your leek then you get a TM(Power Up) from the gym leader.
ex:Misty would give him a water attack TM(Power Up).
Plus you could switch attacks based on which you like more.

Jonny

You seem so passionate about making it, I think you will make the game regardless of the IP implications. Be aware that The Pokemon Company and Nintendo will protect their IP franchises even from not-for-profit projects. A very slim chance but it would be enought be sway me in the direction of making something new. I think you could come up with your own characters and game similar to pokemon. It could end up being know as the game thats a bit like Pokemon, but cooler!

Top Bottom