Custom Tileset problem

Vincent

Hi guys,
I am experiencing a problem when importing edited bmp with photoshop in the game (4-8bpp), even if the editor shows tiles correctly all I see in emulator is a solid color,
I have tried switching custom tileset with default tilesets and they do show up, so I suspect it's a file format problem. How do you export tilesets?

9kq0lAS.png

dale_coop

Staff member
Check the dimensions of your tileset bmp (even I think it’s not the cause of your issue here)

And most important, set your sprite0. In then “HUD & boxes” as explained in this video :

https://youtu.be/o7m4gxhgX0U

Don’t forget, the tile (in your GameObjectTileset) needs to be a non-transparent color.

TurtleRescueNES

Have you confirmed you have all the graphics contain only red blue green and black pixels? There's a button in the pixel editor to identify bad pixels.

AllDarnDavey

My guess is you imported the bitmap for your tileset, but didn't convert them to use color indexing and pallets. After converting it to a format NESmaker will use the saved bmp should be a garish Red/Green/Blue/Black image if you look at it in photoshop.

It takes some work converting to palette compatibility to turn something like this:
Trees2.png

into a file like this:
BckCHR_02.png

Vincent

AllDarnDavey said:
My guess is you imported the bitmap for your tileset, but didn't convert them to use color indexing and pallets. After converting it to a format NESmaker will use the saved bmp should be a garish Red/Green/Blue/Black image if you look at it in photoshop.

It takes some work converting to palette compatibility to turn something like this:
Trees2.png

into a file like this:
BckCHR_02.png
Which are the exact steps to do it? I've saved it as indexed bmp in PS, opened it in pixel editor and resaved as bmp.

Cheers

dale_coop

Staff member
You have to set your tileset graphics in R, G, B and black. In the pixel editor there are tools to replace the colors... cf the pixel editor tutorial video.

AllDarnDavey

Sorry, I didn't mean the bmp needed to be saved as an indexed bmp. The NES doesn't actually use texture files, it's graphics are just a list of pixels with one of four possilbe values, filtered through one of four pallets.

NESmaker does read a bmp file and convert it into these list of values the NES actually uses. But it'll only convert pixels that are (0,0,0)-black, (255,0,0)-red, (0,255,0)-green, and (0,0,255)-blue, any values that isn't one of those 4 colors isn't coverted when built.

Listen to dale_coop, and watch the pixel editor tutorial video. Specifically this part shows taking a full color graphic and converting it to something NESmaker can build.

Top Bottom